Prologue

WARNING: This story contains mature themes such as suicidal thoughts, words, and actions. It may also contain sexual content such as talk of sexual abuse and rape. Do not continue if you are sensitive to any of these. Enjoy the story!

I can't hear. I've never been able to. I've never heard my mother's voice. I've never heard my own voice. I hear nothing. And yet I hear everything. The birds as they sore across the sky, singing a tune unknown to man. I tune I shall never hear, yet I sing it. I sing it in my mind. I imagine what sound is like. What sound looks like. What it feels like. What it tastes like...

When you sing, does it feel smooth or rugged? When you laugh does it taste sweet and fizzy? Can you acquaint sound with other senses? Can you describe to me a voice like you do a person? So many questions that remain unanswered and float in my curious mind.

My wrist holds a red string. Invisible to everyone but me. Everyone has this bond. Though they may not describe it as I do. Some may describe it as a force that's always tugging at them, pulling them. Some may describe it as a tune that they can't help but be drawn to. For me it is a string. A red piece twine. That leads me to this person, this so-called soulmate of mine.