Chapter 2

Sarah

Living in South Florida isn't cheap. Being a single mother of four kids doesn't make it easy to bring in a lot of money. But we survive. 

My oldest brothers are John and Tim. They're a year older than me and identical twins. The most noticeable difference between them are their body sizes. John is shorter than Tim, but has more muscle and a short temper. Tim is tall and lanky, calm and patient.

Our younger brother Jason seems to be following Tim's lead as Jason is about as tall as me and as skinny as a twig. 

The twins take after our dad with their dark brown hair and brown eyes. I have Ma's hazel eyes and darker blonde hair, borderline dirty brown. Jason is a bit of a mix with grandma's blue eyes and the blonde hair mom had as a kid. 

Our dad died about 2 years ago from a heart attack. 

We surprisingly didn't loose the house after his death. Mom got a second job and had to sell dad's car, but she made it work. 

It was a one story, four bedroom, and two bathroom house. The master bedroom was attached to the living room and the kid's hallway in the back of the house, my bedroom and the twin's room next to each other while across the hall was Jason's room and the bathroom. We had a small backyard with an underground pool and all our neighbors were close together, but I loved the place. 

/-------\

I woke up exhausted, as usual, and unwilling to go to school but I rolled out of bed when I noticed a note under my window. 

'Today will be a good day'

I peaked out my window and saw my next door neighbor standing in his backyard staring straight at me. 

I flew to the ground in shock and fright. I hesitantly looked again, hoping I was just seeing things, only to see him still there. 

I narrowed my eyes, noticing something in his hands. Was he going Taylor Swift on me? I squinted to see what his little sign said, my tired eyes still blurry. 

'I like your hair'

I gaped at him. My neighbor was leaving me the notes? I grew frustrated and I was known to make impulsive decisions when I was frustrated. 

He likes my hair, does he?

I smiled at him before scrambling to my desk to retrieve my scissors. 

This was one of those impulsive decision times. 

I stood in front of the window, making sure he was watching. I waved and he waved back, excited that he was making contact past the notes. 

I grabbed my hair in my left hand and slowly raised the scissors in my right, watching his face slowly distort into anger. 

Without a second thought I cut off my hair. 

My once mid-back long hair was now chin length.

I immediately regretted the decision. 

My neighbor was furious and if he was a cartoon he'd have steam coming out of his ears. 

And I had my hair in my left hand. I held back the urge to scream and instead smirked at him. 

I watched him write on another poster,

'I didn't like that'

I shrugged. He held up another poster,

'Tell anybody and they die' 

Pictures of each of my brothers were under the words.

I dropped the scissors and he smiled triumphantly.

"Sarah!" My mom called. "It's almost time to leave!"

I looked at my bedroom door, "Coming!"

When I looked back he was gone. I looked at the hair in my hand then in the mirror. 

What just happened? Was my creepy neighbor the one really leaving the notes? Were my brother's lives threatened because of me? 

I put the scissors on my desk and my hair in the trash before heading out my bedroom door.

"What in the world did you do to your hair?" My mom questioned as she caught me on my way to the bathroom. 

"Ooo, Sarah cut off her hair," Jason sung. 

I shot him a glare, "It's nothing. I just wanted to try something new."

My mom touched the ends of my hair, "It's a horrible cut."

I shrugged, "It's fine."

John and Tim walked out of their room only to stop and stare at me.

"Shut up," I snapped.

They looked at each other, shrugged their shoulders, and walked to the kitchen. I slipped around my mother into the bathroom so I could quickly get ready.