5

My bag was at the door, my face glued to the window beside it, ready to bolt the second Mark's car pulled up. I was leaving Cali, which meant I was also leaving him.

"You got all your stuff?"

"Fuck!" I stumbled, knocking my face into the window in front of me, nose taking the brunt of it. "Don't fucking creep on people like that, Fratellino!" I whirled around, rubbing the kink out of my nose.

"Sadie says the same shit." He elbowed me, glancing out the window then giving me a fucking look. "Thanks for coming out. Would have been nice if you could have stayed longer."

No kidding. But even a few days was too many, with Luca in his condition. "Sofia and Giorgia have been taking turns watching Luca. I'm sure they're about to lose their fucking minds. Plus, I've got to get back to the office, take the lead for a bit."

His hand fell to my shoulder. "Take care of Luca."

"Take care of Sadie," I insisted right back.

He nodded. "Yeah, and uh, I'm okay with Mark."

Any and all breath I had was gone.

"Whatever makes you happy, Stefano. I'll never step on your feet because if someone told me I couldn't be with Sadie-I'd fucking destroy them. My choices aren't group decisions, so neither are yours."

I held my hand out; he took it, our shake ending in a hug. "But, Gav, keep this here in Cali. Luca doesn't need another fucking heart attack." This needed to stay across the country, miles away from my reality. Gav was one thing; Luca, New York, Wall Street-another.

"I won't say shit," he said while looking directly into my eyes. "I just wanted you to know that I'm fine."

Just then, the floor started shaking... fuck, earthquake. Nah, it was only Sadie bouncing down the stairs. Damn, those twins were gonna be huge.

Gav swung back. "Ready?" he asked her while shaking his new keys.

"The appointment's been canceled." She pushed her phone to her pocket, then sent her hand out for his-and holy fuck! Her finger was bright red, triple the size of her others.

"What happened to your finger?"

"Mine?" Her nose scrunched with the question, lazily flipping her hand, eyes instantly bugging out. "Oh my god!" Then she was ripping at her rings. "Shit."

Gav looked down, attacking her fat nub finger trapped by the diamonds. "Fuck."

"Where's Mark?" Sadie screamed, stampeding past me down the hall.

"I think he's almost here." I looked over, realizing my feet were still planted at the window waiting for him.

"Go get him!" she screamed. "If I can't get it off, then I have to go to the fire station for them to saw it off!"

Ew. Jesus Christ. I threw the door open just as his car pulled up. Then I was waving, gesturing him out, acting like a fucking mime on the grass, pointing to my fingers.

He stepped out of his door, sliding his shades up before resting his elbows on the roof-stealing my breath again. "What's going on?"

"Sadie's exploding!" I shouted down, still waving him forward. "Some Willy Wonka shit. She needs you." I raced back into the house, hearing his door slap and feet follow.

"Sadie?" Mark tapped his foot in the doorway, looking at me for permission.

"Get in here!" she yelled, sending him racing in. "My finger swelled overnight!"

He rushed to her in the kitchen, and she shoved her elephant hand in his face. The two of them exchanged a stare before he darted to the fridge, rummaging, pulling out... a tub of butter. What the fuck was happening?