15

The summer days seemed to scurry by, leaving Foster and Lo just as quickly as they had arrived. The pair became inseparable. They were only without one another when Foster was working for Mr. Martin out in the fields. During his working hours, Lo was sure to be out back, lying in the grasses that precede the farmland reading, writing, and mostly watching Foster. The way he moved and reacted, the things he'd say all became hardwired in her brain. She knew his actions before he'd do them, and she found herself taking on phrases he'd use. Not once before this summer had she greeted someone with a 'Hi there', but now found it to be her go-to acknowledgment. She'd bring Foster lemonade and cold rags for him to wrap around his neck. The sun in July proved to be even crueler than it was in June and by the time a day's work was complete, Foster was drenched in sweat from head to toe.

Following most of the days when Foster worked in the inexplicably torrid temperatures, he and Lo would make their way to Harper Lake and have a dip in the brisk water. They'd discovered the old Kaleman house, which had been abandoned for years, had a small dock and rope swing built in for hurling yourself into the lake on sweltering days. They both ignored the handful of "No Trespassing" signs posted along the property's edge. Besides them, Lo thought that no living soul had passed through the Kaleman estate for years. The water there was deep, clear, and free from floating lily pads. A charming line of cattails framed a little alcove, where swimmers were nearly invisible to passersby.

This afternoon, Lo sat, swinging gently to and fro, on the rope swing. She dreamed of diving into the limpid waters, but she and Foster refrained. They had come from Millie's with no bathing suits in hand. Foster laid himself down in the grass and let Lo take hold of the swing. Her hands softly gripped the rough, bristly twine, which had strays, like split ends, sticking straight out from the center of the rope. Her head rested against it and she pictured what Foster was doing behind her closed eyelids. Her thoughts were interrupted by a roaring splash. Specks of water landed on her shoulders and back, bringing surprising relief. Her once lazily closed eyes popped open and her head jolted upright.

She turned her body toward the lake and saw Foster's head break the water's clear surface. His face brightened when their eyes met, and the lake water clung to his skin like a magnet does metal. Her eyes scanned to the left and noticed the pile of his clothes lying in a heap.

"Fos! What are you doing?" she yelled.

"Come on in! Water's great!"

Her expression was candid - amused, but nervous.

"We don't have bathing suits!"

She realized at once she was yelling and turned her head this way and that, like a buzzing bee, to see if any lake goers were close enough to see them. There was non one for yards and yards in either direction.

Foster saw her surveying the area with worry.

"Lo," he said softly, "No one is here. Not even Mrs. Arthur."

He laughed while whispering his last sentence.

Lo stood up from the swing and gave him an interrogative stare.

He continued, "Come on! I've got my boxers on! We'll dry off in no time with this heat."

He plunged his head back under the water and emerged using his fingers to guide fallen pieces of hair to the back of his head.

This boy has lost his mind, she thought, and I want to lose mine with him. Lo worked her fingers to unbutton her top and used her hands to feverishly wriggle out of her shorts. She slipped her sneakers off and felt both shy and freed. Her matching polka dot underwear set, though, felt suddenly childish. With a few, quick strides, she plunged herself into the depths of the crystalline water.