Chapter Eight: The Cruel Ken

I

Ophelia said she wanted to scream and tell everyone about what kind of monsters her husband and his friends were.

"Then, why did you not tell anyone," Madelyn asked her.

"They had literally killed a human being, I was scared they would kill me too," Ophelia replied.

What was stopping her now, you may ask. Well for starters, it was too late now, she had no way to prove that her husband and his friends killed Nicholas. She was, by now, more or less an accomplice herself.

II

"What was in those letters that Elwood had sent to his friends, I wonder. Calling them all to meet him, suddenly after almost eight years? What if there was something in those letters that resulted in his death," Madelyn said.

"They all told the police that he had just written that he wanted to talk about something important," Ophelia replied.

-

Ophelia knew something. Something she had held on to since the night her husband died. Something that could have really helped her. Something that she now knew she had to tell Madelyn.

She began with "There is one more thing that I think you should know.." and went on to explain what she had seen the night her husband was murdered. She said she did not think much of it at the time and it was not until recently that she put the dots together. She had seen, when she came out of her room that night to get a glass of water, Kendall Walters, one of her husband's friend that was present in the house that night, go into the library. The same library with the secret door. The door that opened into Elwood's room.

Before the discovery of the secret door, it was an insignificant detail that did not mean anything and it made sense for Ophelia to not have mentioned it to anyone but what Madelyn did not understand was why, now that everyone knew about the secret passage, Ophelia still had not told anyone about it.

"Who would believe a person who everyone thinks is a murderer?" Ophelia's logic made sense to Madelyn.

"Can you think of a reason why Ken would have wanted to kill Elwood?" asked Madelyn.

"Suddenly after eight years? no, I can not."

"His friends would know about him better anyway. I have a plan that I think can prove to be really helpful," Said Madelyn.

"Go to Julian, tell him what you know about Ken, and also tell him why you haven't told anyone about it yet. And ask him if he can think of a reason why Ken would have wanted to kill Elwood. What have you got to lose," Madelyn said, explaining her plan.

Ophelia had thought of a similar plan herself but hers included an extra step. It was going to be difficult but she had to convince Julian to tell the police that it was him who saw Ken go into the library the night Elwood was killed.

- Thanks for reading. Please consider giving the chapter a vote if you liked it -