Chapter Nine: The Thing About Evelyn

I

Evelyn had replaced her mother Caroline in the Adams household. Her mother died around the time Elwood got married. Evelyn never had a father and the only man in her family was her brother.

That was until one day even he disappeared.

She did everything she could do to find her missing brother, but there was not much she could do.

II

Ophelia always knew Julian Martindale and Kendall Walters never got along well. She also knew Julian always had a soft spot for her, but what she hadn't realized was just how much both the "friends" hated each other.

They were not always like this, however. In the beginning, they were both Elwood's friends, not each other's. Elwood was the link that brought them together and even though they never became best of friends, their relationship was never as sour as it had started to become after that one silly conversation.

In a drunken state, Ken had once told Julian how he feels Ophelia definitely deserves someone better than Elwood and how he could keep her happier and treat her better. He also said that he thinks Ophelia likes him. Ken's words deeply affected Julian and not because he was angry at him for wanting to have an affair with a friend's wife but because Julian had his eyes on Ophelia for himself.

Ken could never confirm his suspicion, but he knew Julian had told Elwood what Ken had told him that night, Elwood's coldness towards him, afterwards, was proof enough. To get back at him, Ken also started spreading rumors about Julian. Rumors that he was a homosexual and that he had sexual relations with his male patients.

Naturally, it did not take a lot of convincing for Julian to agree to go along with Ophelia's plan.

III

Ophelia returned with good news. Julian was ready to go to the police about what Ophelia had told him. "I would hate to see you take the fall for something, most likely, he did. I am willing to do anything I can to help you." Julian had told Ophelia, with a gentle smile on his face.

Madelyn was obviously elated to hear it, but her mind had been preoccupied with something else for quite some time.

"We haven't really talked about Evelyn, have we?" blurted Madelyn, quite abruptly.

"What about her," Ophelia asked.

"She was in the house too, the night Elwood died, wasn't she?"

"Yes, she was."

"Do you not have any reason to suspect her?"

Ophelia took some time to come up with a reply.

"Actually, she would have had the most valid reason of all, to kill Elwood. But the thing is, she was with me that night, she couldn't have known."

"Known. What?"

"That Elwood and his friends killed her brother."

-

"But isn't it possible that she somehow found out about it?" asked Madelyn.

"It is, I suppose. I do not understand, however, how the thought never crossed my mind. Maybe it is because I did not want to suspect her. She's a nice and fragile girl, I can't even imagine her killing an ant, much less a human being," replied Ophelia.

- Thanks for reading. Please consider giving the chapter a vote if you liked it -