Chapter 9: Timer and Free Time

The minute you arrived, Byakuya started complaining.
"For skinny people, you sure are slow."
This guy...
"It seems you are just too fast for us..."
Sonia responded.

"J-Jeez I never expected a fatso like him to be this fast..."
Kazuichi said.
Well let's not body shame people...
"So what's supposed to be here?"
Akane asked.

You shrugged and shifted your gaze around the area. Something caught your eye and you didn't like it one bit.
What the actual hell is that?
"That I presume."
You pointed to the giant device that now stood in place of the statue. It had a timer on it, ticking down. It currently displayed "21 days, 3 hours".

"It looks like a clock but something's off..." Hajime said. "It's counting down!"
I don't like this one bit.
"Was this here when we came last time?"
Mahiru asked.
"No, it definitely wasn't..."
You trailed off.

Byakuya folded his arms.
"I found it this morning...when I was exploring the island one more time. It's unknown...when it was actually placed here."
"Monokuma must have placed this object. What does this countdown even mean?"
Peko pointed out.

I don't know...It's definitely not good though. It looks like a bomb, if anything.
Your eyes widened at the thought of a bomb on the island.
"Could it be? It better not be a bomb!"
Nekomaru said.

"That's what I was thinking too..." You pulled at the ends of your hair. "I hope it's not..."
"A b-b-b-b-b-bomb?!"
Kazuichi yelled.
"If they wanted to blow the island up, they would've done it by now. There's no need for a countdown."
"But what if they just resort to this if we refuse to kill each other?"
You asked.

"It's a possibility but not a very likely one. The bear said we'd live here forever if we didn't kill."
Byakuya answered, calmly.
Makes sense.
"Then...what are they counting down?"
Mikan said, playing with her bandage.
"It's a mystery..."
Akane responded.

"A mysterious mystery right?"
You jumped and clung to the nearest person, who happened to be Hajime, as soon as you heard a voice you never thought you'd here. You slowly let go of Hajime and apologized. Then you turned to the stuffed rabbit that you thought was dead.

"M-Monomi?!"
"Kyah!"
Sonia yelled.
"Kyah!"
The white and pink rabbit yelled back.
But how?! We watched her die!

"Wh-Why are you here?"
"I heard everyone talking while I was patrolling so I decided to come over!"
Ibuki started playing with her fingers and laughing nervously.
"Uh not that. Didn't Monokuma...you know...kill you?"

"Ah so that's why you were surprised?" Monomi started laughing "Pfft, hehehehe! You don't have to worry about that! After all, I can never die!"
"I see...You must be an undead abomination, risen from the foulest depths of the Netherworld by black magic."
"Uh as wise as that sounds Gundham..." You smiled a bit "I think it's that she's robot, and can't really die."

"Ah clever as ever my Dark Queen!"
"Now that you mention it (Y/N), she'd only need a spare to keep living."
Kazuichi said.
"'A spare'...What a mean thing to say!"
Monomi started sobbing.

Byakuya dismissed her crying and instead went to ask her a question.
"You arrived at the perfect time. There's something I need to ask you. What is the meaning behind this timer and countdown? Answer me..."
He clenched his fist.

"Huh? Countdown?"
Monomi turned around to view the timer
"Ha-wa-wa! What is this?!"
She paused for a second.
"U-Uh I'm sorry...I don't know what it is..."
Even she doesn't know?!

"You really don't know..?"
"I-I'm sorry...I don't r-really have a grasp of what Monokuma is up to..."
I suppose it's not her fault...

"You don't know? Even though you're Monokuma's little sister?"
Hiyoko said.
"I'm not my brother's little sister!"
Okay now that's just confusing...