Chapter 9 - The Rules

"I know what you want, Striker." I seethe through my teeth, gripping my rifle tighter.

I examine the 'battlefield'.

"Oh, do you, Alpharo?" He lifted his gun higher, checking it out cleanly. Fury is filling my veins and I instantly raise my gun to shoot him right in the shoulder, but he beats me to it.

I shout in agony and held my left bicep, leaning forward while my gun clatters to the ground. "Suspected," He laughs. "I gave you guys a chance to surrender, and make it so easy for yourselves! But no, you just had to take the high road, didn't you?"

Rocori rushes to my side, pointing her gun at him while trying to wrap my arm up. I shove off of her, getting back upright on my own. "Oh, stop it. You think you're so fucking high and mighty," I spit. "Do you know who took the high road here?"

He sighs quietly, tilting his head. "You. You did. You could've just arrested me, Kyarra, or Rocori right from day one. But you didn't," I take a step closer to him and he straightens. "You needed the self gratification to make yourself feel better."

"You made me do this, Timber," Striker says, starting to type something into his wristband. I hear something click and I'm seeing stars for the time being. "You left me no choice."

In my vision, he's suddenly becoming closer to me and I stare down at my feet. I'm walking right into his hands. I don't know what to do. I can't stop moving.

My eyes hurt. I'm blinking sporadically with no control. Mouth running dry, I speak words that would never ever leave my mouth by choice. "We can't win."

"What?" Roco lowers her gun. "You literally just gave a whole ass speech saying the exact opposite—"

"We lost." I say, taking my last step to be next to him and it felt the most hesitant. Kya's eyes widen and she takes a firm step forward. "What's up with her eyes?"

Striker takes my hand in his and places something in it. It's like an extra large sized marble. It's got a glowing, gold line embedding it.

"Can you not hear me? We are fucking screwed. I have to do this." I say with pure confidence. Jacob is trying to inch his way closer somehow but he looks merely like a coward.

"Striker you motherfucker!" Rocori screams, rushing over to him to land punches, "What the fuck did you do to her?!" Striker casually moves his head around, dodging her bad attempts of violence until shooting her vest, knocking her back on purpose.

She's holding her chest frantically, like she forgot it was there, sitting on the grass.

There was an explosion from the mountain that rattled the ground beneath my feet. I wasn't sure of what happened, but I think it had something to do with my glowing marble, because it was now smoking out in my hand.

Somehow, Striker had activated our dormant volcano with that explosion, because there is now lava and rocks spitting out of that thing like no other.

Kyarra is left in a daze, unaware of the cops closing in on her. I'm unable to call for her aid, but Roco beats me to it and clicks her switchblades, throwing them at the incoming officers with such speed I don't even see them until they've hit the bodies.