The One Who Lost

"Man, that was some good food dad." Naoko patted his stomach.
"I know right. The trip to Egypt really paid off"
To the side, Ryuji had already disappeared into the looming darkness of the night. Up the mountains, in the forest, climbing up the stream, he stood at the entrance of his little cave. He dedicated hours of days in the area to master the scent of nature around him, and constantly put his time into practicing the five senses. How could he keep on losing to his father? He thought, rummaging through a pile of books he accumulated over time. From a faraway distance, he admired his father for the brilliant talents of diving headfirst into the desert of the culinary path, but he could not break free from this new legacy being formed. Expectations were to arise if they haven't yet. The eldest son of the Yukihiras, still couldn't cook well enough to get into Totsuki. "What a shame," they all thought. This ran through Ryuji's mind unstopped. Every time he loses, each emotion gets bottled up. Why can't I do it? What path did I go wrong? Why can't I beat him?!- The shouting of his name in the distance woke him up. Footsteps trek through the mud and a light is shown coming up the stream. "Ryuji!" a distant cry of panic for him awakens his mind. Not wanting to let his already afraid mother come any closer, he walks to the sound of her voice instead. His head held low as he didn't want his tears shown. "It's ok, it's ok Ryu."
"No matter how much I try, I can't do it" His tears started to stain the apron of Megumi as she tries to comfort him. 
"Have I ever told you stories about my adventures with your father while we were still in school?"

Walking back down the dirt path of the hill,  a few lights were still on. Many have retired for the night and the sound of the cicadas buzz lowers once they step far enough. Mother and son share time talking. "Haha, so you see, he was a total wild card kid, feeding everyone anything of sorts."
"Mommm," He faux barfs. "peanut butter squid?! That's absolutely disgusting."
"Here, I'll cook up your favourite tomorrow morning. There's something important,  both your father and I  need to tell you."
"Is auntie Erina coming?!"
"Well..." She starts with a big smile. "You'll just have to wait and see."

Giddy with excitement after hiding away in his little cave, Ryuji couldn't sleep the whole night. Testing his skills for approval of Mrs. Erina had always made him glad to be in the kitchen. He much wanted to attend Totsuki and looked up to those in the culinary path, to improve and hone his skill against the best he could find. As soon as he went too far in the storm, the overwhelming sensation of the legacy starts burning hotter. Staying longer and longer in the kitchens, barely getting a blink of sleep in, he worked himself into overdrive. Dish after dish, he incorporates more and more techniques of the forest, of his senses, of everything he has learned from the wilderness.