The Day Death Died - Chapter 1

Chapter 1

My day started like any other. There was no reason for me to think something life-changing would happen at lunch. But as things go with life, we never know what's going to happen. Our lives can go from normal to completely messed the heck up in just a matter of seconds. 

And sometimes that happens completely by accident. 

I want to tell you about my day and the conundrum that I am in.

My name is Maddison Sinclair. I live in a nice little suburban town with my mom, dad, bratty little brother, two cats, and three dogs. My mom really loves animals. 

"Maddy!"

Oh, that's mom. I'm going to leave you right now so you can read my story. I have to tell someone because I can't tell my friends. They would never believe what happened. I still don't believe it.

"Coming, mom!" I jumped up from my makeup table and hurried to the table.

"Waffles?"

"Mmm, yes! Make it double because I'm skipping lunch today," I mumbled, pouring a cup of coffee.

"You don't need coffee, Maddison. And stop skipping lunch."

"Mother. I am 16-years-old. I am old enough to drink coffee. Plus, you drink it."

"I'm 40 and your mother. I need coffee. You do not."

"Yeah, yeah." I poured sugar into the mug along with my favorite french vanilla creamer. 

Inhaling the delicious aroma, I sipped as she slid a plate of steaming waffles my way. 

"So, why are you skipping lunch today?" she inquired.

"Shopping!"

"What? Absolutely not!"

"Oh calm down, mom. It's for school. Principal Jones is sending me to get things for the homecoming dance."

"And he can't go himself?"

"Mom, I am the student body president. It is my responsibility to ensure we have the right decorations for our dance and the homecoming court elections."

She sighed and shook her head. "Just be careful."

"I'm always careful," I mumbled with a mouth full of fluffy waffles.

"I need you to take Brayden to school today."

"Ugh, mom, I am not taking that booger brain to school."

"You are and stop calling him names."

"He smells weird."

"He's your brother be nice."

"He's such a nerd!"

"He is your brother and he looks up to you."

I rolled my eyes and took my empty plate to the sink. "Why can't he just take the bus?"

"You go to the same building. Take him."

"He hates the way I drive."

"Take him and I won't argue about you skipping lunch to shop for dance supplies."

I pursed my lips and sighed heavily.

Sticking my hand out, I grasped hers and shook it. "Deal. No, take backs!"

I ran to the front hall and grabbed my bag before shouting upstairs. "Hurry up, dork. I'm leaving in 5 minutes with or without you."

"Mom, tell the ignoramus to stop being stupid," Brayden said, plopping into a chair at the table.