Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Carmela was leaning on the counter lost in her thoughts. It was hard to believe how her life had changed in such a short time. It had been only her and her daughter Miranda for as long as she could remember. Well at least with the exception of her yearly visits with her best friends in Texas. Oh how she missed her. But she had gone off to find love and well raise a family of her own.

But now she found herself as the grandmother to a perfect little girl. That Rose sure was a hand full. She might not be related to Carmela by blood. But that little girl had won her heart regardless of how much Carmela tried to keep her out. But now she was going to be a grandmother to a second child. She couldn't help the way her heart sped up thinking about Miranda and all she had been through.

Carmela's POV

"Grandma, grandma I invited grandpa Lance for lunch. He said he would bring us a pie. I like pie." She said smiling as she left the room with the same gusto she had entered it.

My heart speeds up once more but for a different reason. That son of a bitch, I thought as I closed my eyes. I love my daughter. But why the hell did she have to invite him back into our life. I could not stop my mind from wondering back to that fateful day I received that check in the mail. I had gone to the mailbox expecting to get the new CD I ordered. But instead was met by a manila envelope that looked out of place.

I looked at my name written on it and felt my skin crawl. As I ripped it open, I held back a sob. All those zeros on that check with my name on it had my head spinning. It was the moment when I saw who it was from and read why it was sent that my stomach flipped and all my lunch made a reappearance. What had that stubborn child gone and done.

I subconsciously felt a thrill at looking at his name. But the pain in my heart stopped it cold. How dare he think money would make up for things? Of course Miranda was as livid as I was. But what I did not expect was the bond that would forge between her and her father. Or the way she would find love in Randal's son. I smile thinking about Randal. He was always a good guy. But I kept my distance. That is until one day I received a call from a heart broken Miranda. But even while she cried asking me to come pick her up. She still made excuses for Joshua. Saying it was her fault. It was that day that I showed my moment of weakness. As I let Lance, hold me as I cried. In my defense I had passed out . So I wasn't in my right mind.

Plus I also blame it on the news that my daughter had been kidnapped. I mean hell, what would you do. Miranda is my life. Thank goodness even that ended good. Well I shouldn't be heartless and say good, poor Rose lost her parents that fateful night. But I believe, had they lived. Joshua and Miranda would not be able to have their happily ever after. They would always have those monsters to worry about.

I was so relieved when Miranda finally came home that night. It was also the night I meet Rose. I tried so hard to stay away from all of them. But little by little that little girl wormed her way into my heart. She started calling me grandma. She came every time Miranda came to see me. No matter how much I tried to keep her at arm's length she just battered down my walls. Her and her chatter, to hear Miranda talk about how the child did not say 2 words when she first met her, makes it hard for me to believe.

Especially the day she came to me with those innocent round eyes. "Grandma, if you are mommy Miranda's mom and Grandpa Lance is mommy Miranda's dad. Why does grandpa not live here with you like Grandpa Randal and Grandma do?" my jaw dropped.

I looked over at Miranda who looked like she was trying her hardest not to burst into laughter. I glared at her. "Well you see honey, some mommies and daddies don't live together." She looked like she was thinking hard. I frowned, how the hell do you explain something like this to a kid.

"Is it like my friend from school? Alicia said her mommy and daddy don't live together anymore because her mommy said her daddy was a." I never got to hear what this Alicia's mother said her daddy was because Mirada screamed out.

"Rose don't you dare repeat that no,no word. I told you it was bad. Alicia's mother should not have used that word in front of her. Now don't you let me catch you repeating it." Rose's lip started to quiver and it was at that moment that I lost my heart to those round eyes full of tears and that quivering bottom lip. I knelt down and she rushed to me as she cried.

I cooed letting her know it was all right. That all she had to do was not repeat that bad word. Well unfortunately it just made her cling to me more. After that she was my little shadow. Making it that much harder to resist her. But I guess it wasn't only her getting through my walls. Because it seemed so was Joshua. I wanted to hate him for putting my baby in danger.

But how can you hate a man that seems to love your daughter so much. I tried to not like him too. I have been so busy at work and it was helping me to deal with all the changes around me. He won me over the moment my Miranda found out she was with child and he flipped in happiness. He alongside my daughter single handedly, planned a speedy wedding. Now here I am, taking care of my granddaughter while they are away on their honeymoon.

Lance POV

I was whistling as I got ready to go have a meal with my 2 best girls. Carmela was still giving me the cold shoulder. But now I had Rose staying with her. So until the kids get back from the honeymoon. I am going to take advantage of the opportunity. If I didn't know any better. I would say my little peanut was helping me out. I smiled as I shook my head. "Nahh" I say out loud as I splash on some cologne.

I had gone out to find a bottle of the brand she said she loved all those years ago. Hey, it can't hurt to jog her memory. I wanted to help her remember the good old days. I frowned; I can't believe that I'm reduced to this. I have to Wessel my way into her home, into her heart. If she ever finds out I am the one giving her all her new business. She is liable to castrate me. The thought makes me cringe and cup my sack. I shiver trying to erase the thought from my head.

I settle on picturing her beautiful face instead. Or the feel of her in my arms, that night Miranda and little Rose were kidnapped. Even with my mind full of worry. I could not help but smell her and hold her tight. I knew it would be a long time before I had her in my arms again. But have here there I will. I love that freaking stubborn woman. The powers that be kept us apart all those years. But I intended to make amends and to hold her tight for the rest of my life.

Make no mistake about that Carmela will be mine. Even if I have to steal her away and lock her up in a tower somewhere. I smile liking that idea that only made me laugh out loud. "Damn Lance you are whipped and the woman isn't even with you yet." I shook my head as I made my way to her shop. Figured I might win me some points if I showed up with flowers purchased from the best shop in town, hers.

.....................................................................................................................................................................................

Well Lance, I have a felling you have your work cut out for you.