Chapter One - OuterBanks, Paradise on Earth

————

John B was balancing himself on one foot on the roof, drinking beer, which was probably not the best idea he has ever had. And, well... John B was never really good with "good ideas".

Pope looked up at him "That's what, a three-story fall to the deck? I give about a one-in-three chance of survival"

Typical smart-ass.

I mumbled "nerd" and chuckled and JJ laughed with me. He had his arm around my shoulder as we were sitting, holding on to the barrier and drinking beer.

"What's so funny?" He asked us. We immediately stopped laughing. "Tell me, I have time" I kept quiet with a smile sheepish grin on my face "Whatever, then don't" he gave up too easily. One more question and I would've probably told him.

"Hm" John B put his index finger in his mouth to test which way the wind was going and asked, "Should I do it?"

"Yeah, jump" I exclaimed sarcastically "but do a backflip on the way down" he tilted his head and gave me a death stare so I laughed.

"I'll shoot you" Pope held a drill up pointing at John B.

"You're gonna shoot me?" John pointed gun fingers at him "pew"

Kiara, my best friend, stepped out of the construction building, under the pillars "They're gonna have Japanese toilets with towel warmers"

"Of course, they are, why wouldn't they?" JJ said, looking over at me and smiling when I looked back.

"This used to be a turtle habitat, but who cares about the turtles, I guess?" Kie walked up next to Pope.

"I can't have cold towels" JJ commented

Kie looked over at John B being stupid and asked "Can you please not kill yourself?" 

Then JJ shouted "Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one" and as soon as he did, John B dropped the beer on purpose "Of course you did, like right when I said that"

"Most of the time, I think that you care about your beer more than us," I told JJ.

He looked at me with confusion on his face and whispered in my ear so that I could only hear "No, not more than you. Your number one, then the beer, and then the crew"

I blushed but tried to play it off cool "Wow! Wait until I tell them that you said that to me" I chuckled and he nudged my arm as he laughed.

John B groaned, sitting down on the rooftop with his head in his hands.

Dramatic much. But I can't blame him, beer is precious. 

Pope looked over the fence and I heard a car pull over and a man calls out "Hey!"

"Hey, uh, security's here. Let's wrap it up." Pope tapped the fence and we all looked at each other, not quite knowing what to do until JJ said "Humpty Dumpty let's roll" and rolled under the barrier

I narrowed my eyebrows "Humpty Dumpty?" He held out his hand for me to reach and I grabbed it to stand up.

He was saying stupid shit to the officer and I smacked him around the arm "That kind of hurt, you know?" He said as we climbed down. He should've gotten used to me slapping him, 'it's Avalon in her natural habitat' he always says.

We all ran into the building, my hand still attached to JJ's, dodging polls. The officer was standing in front of him about to catch him and he let go of my hand. It was my sign to run forward and then when I looked back, he got out of the officer's grip and caught up with me.