Chapter 4

October 26, 2023

Calgary, Canada

Matthew Tkachuk shoves the last camera out of his face with a growl. How could he surprise the Canuck with cameras shoved into his face and the news of him resurrecting from the dead somehow spreading all over the place?

The Calgary Flame pest makes it to his team's arena, the Scotiabank Saddledome. He rushes inside and slams the doors shut. He wishes he could conjure up a chain or rope, something he could use to fasten the doors closed. But he knows that he probably can't anymore, being in the real world as a human again.

Seven years. He had been trapped in limbo for seven years.

How many of his teammates were still around? Who would recognize him? Maybe none of them were not even there anymore.

He looks around the lobby for something to help him out, but he sees nothing that is useful. Thankfully, though, the media stops outside. It is because the Saddledome is property that belongs to someone, so, they can't just tear in here without clearance.

Tkachuk backs away from the doors and walks into the building. He finds himself walking down the first level concourse. It's been so long, but he still remembers everything. He ventures across the concourse, heading for one of the section tunnels. He halts, finding the ice glistening back at him.

"Chucker...is that you...?" a voice suddenly cries out from behind him.

Tkachuk spins around and finds himself looking back into the deep brown eyes of a short dark brunette haired man. He's got a full beard on his face and his eyes are wide with shock. He hasn't really changed at all over the years.

"Johnny Hockey," Tkachuk greets. "You're still here, eh?"

Johnny Gaudreau nods. "Hells yeah, I'm the face of this damn team. Everyone else is gone and we thought you were too."

Tkachuk laughs. "No." He then remembers his reflection in the puddle. Judging by Johnny's reactions to him, he's not seeing the creepy black eyes either.

"What happened to you?" Johnny asks, venturing over to where Tkachuk is.

"Does it matter?" Tkachuk sneers, unknowingly causing his eyes to flash their true form to the young man.

Johnny gasps. "Your eyes? You're not--WHO ARE YOU?"

Tkachuk flashes his sharp canines at Johnny. "Well, you've seen too much now, haven't you?" It's not his voice. It's not him. "It's really too bad that the face of the Flames will be no more!"

With that, he charges right at Johnny and slams into him. Johnny gasps, but is too shocked and horrified to get out a scream, which appears to catch in his throat as Tkachuk sinks his teeth into his neck.

He watches as Johnny pales over. He lets the man slip into unconsciousness, before drawing back. He's not planning on killing him or draining every last drop out of his body, but he can't let him escape.

He wipes the blood from his mouth. "Now...Elias Pettersson!"