ch. 1

yeji woke up about two minutes before her alarm

as she got ready, all that was on her mind was school—excluding friends or boys or drama. it almost felt as though she didn't have time to think about anything else; but she did note that it was getting colder, and the leaves were changing colors. she pulled a gray coat out of her closet.

the tangles in her hair were work to brush out, and she half considered throwing it out the window. today was already a bad day.

the ride to school was silent, her eyes fixed out the window. news and politics droned on the radio.

when she got out of her mother's car, saying a quiet goodbye before closing the door, she walked pass a group of girls laughing over what was on a cell phone—happy.

she looked away.

her mind wandered to last night as she made her way to the library.

"i'm disappointed in you," her father said, looking at her with what seemed like a cross of indifference and disgust.

she had gotten a ninety three on a test, and he had just come home for the first time in weeks.

"how hard is it to be a daughter we can be proud of?"

really hard. she didn't say it—she didn't even think it. he, they made it out to be the easiest thing in the world.

looking down, she mumbled an apology.

"what was that?" she heard her mother say—she didn't need to look up to know what expression was on her face. her voice was harsh, cold.

"i'm sorry. it won't happen again."

yeji turned and hurried back to her room, skipping dinner. pulling out her books, she stacked them on the side of her desk, holding back tears as she did so.

to think that maybe they would talk about something else—other than education, grades, test scores, and plans for the future—wasn't too much to hope for this time.

they fell as she got to work, blotching some of the black ink on the paper.

that word: disappointment. she hated that word. maybe it was because she saw and heard it so often.

she did school work in the library until first period started. maneuvering her way through the crowd of students in the hallways, she took her seat in class. mr. min was writing something on the chalkboard.

as most of the class got seated, he announced without turning around:

"have your homework out on your desks."

some were writing furiously on the piece of paper he handed out a couple days before while others—including her—placed it on their desks, already finished.

it was then he noticed the new student, standing awkwardly and waiting for him to see her.

"oh yeah," he said to himself, remembering the email he had read last night at two am, "today's your first day, isn't it."

he got the class's attention before beckoning her to stand in front of everybody—which was something she spent forever trying to prepare herself mentally to do.

"we have a new student," he started, scanning for an empty seat. he cued her to introduce herself.

"hello," she said, her voice luckily steady, "i'm lee chaeryoung."

yeji wondered if she was going to sit next to her or if she was going to sit in the empty seat in front of her, although it was his seat—she was hoping for the second, because then she would have to move her books.

but like he was summoned by her thoughts, he came through the door, drawing attention from everybody. she moved her books.

his tie was crooked and his black hair was messily swept out of his eyes. he offered a smile to which mr. min returned with a dead 'i'm not surprised but i'm still disappointed in you and won't bother to ask you why you're late' look. he sighed.

"take a seat, mr. choi."

choi yeonjun: girls made heart eyes at him as he made his way to the seat. like usual, he didn't say anything to her other than a small nod of acknowledgement of her existence as he took his seat in front of her. she didn't really care, though.

the truth was, she despised him.

he and his four other friends were always so loud, she thought bitterly. does he not study?

suddenly, she remembered the girls she had seen at the entrance to school.

"time with friends is time that could be spent achieving your dream."

like i would even be able to make any, she thought. she didn't notice the new girl sit down next to her, internally debating whether she should say something or not before the teacher started talking.

it's her dream; it has been since she was born into this world.

<<<

yeonjun made eye contact with yeji for about a split second, but it was enough to notice the far away look in her eyes that was indecipherable and seemingly almost... empty.

but she didn't spare him another glance since he sat down. it felt as though she hated him or something.

ring. ring. time's up. braincell time exceeded. he let himself think about everything else that wasn't in this room—or school in general.

for instance, last night.

there was something about driving too fast that made him feel alive. it was a thrill, a high unlike any drug he had ever taken.

he zoomed past his opponent—who had talked too big to lose without stomping on his own precious pride. a smirk made its way onto his face.

soon, the end was near. the finishing line was in sight and crowded by people cheering for him.

it was a done deal, but he didn't take his foot off the gas pedal until the ribbon fell.

immediately, the crowd of people came onto him as he got out of the car. for them, there was something about watching that made them feel alive. maybe he would be better off if he was like them, but then again—who would race?

there's no problem there, because he absolutely loved it.

"yeonjun!"

he lifted his gaze to meet mr. min's narrowed eyes. in response, he offered an innocent smile.

"yes?"

like it didn't take three tries to get his attention. mr. min sighed.