A Sealed Fate

"Hey, Prongs! Slow down!" Remus called out as he caught a glimpse of his friend in the hall. Sure enough, James did hear his name being called out and promptly walked towards Remus. "What's up, man?"

It was a few days before the term would end, and everyone was hectic to get everything down in time to go home for the summer. Uncharacteristically, Remus caught James in the most confusing matter. He was neck-deep in the thick bunch of parchment and textbooks he carried in his arms, his glasses were practically sliding down his nose, and a slight stubble began to grow on his chin. Remus disregarded this and decided to put a pin on it to be discussed at another time, "James, have you seen Anne? I haven't seen her since breakfast."

James frowned, looking around the hall, "Moony... Anne isn't supposed to be here, remember? She's with my parents back home. We read her letter earlier at breakfast." He then checked his watch and his eyes widened in concern, "Listen, mate, I have a deadline to meet with McGonagall. I'll catch up with you later, alright?"

Remus watched the rattled James Potter scamper down to the Transfiguration professor's office, faintly hearing the sound of leather-bound textbooks falling on the stone floor. He continued to walk around the castle, baffled at his own misguidance. For the past days since his girlfriend's departure, Remus seemed to look or call out for her. It was almost in his nature. He was glad to see how things have turned out, however, there was a small part in his mind that kept on tugging him to think that she had something up her sleeve.

"Oh, Mister Lupin! Just the student I was looking for," Professor Binns said in an impossibly gloomy voice for such a compelling message, "I'd like to give my thanks to you – Miss Harris has improved impeccably, I daresay you have made quite the influence on her." Remus stood there, gawking at the professor. "I beg your pardon, sir, but I don't believe I know what you're referring to – "

Professor Binns showed a hint of amusement, but very so briefly that Remus thought it was a trick of the light that hovered over them. "Miss Harris has made it clear of her dislike of History of Magic, but regarding the work she has procured and her exam results... I can't help to think that she has had this evangelical turn over to have made her pass my class with blindingly furious colors."

"She... Anne Harris passed?" Remus said, feeling a rush of pride for her, "Seriously? I mean, I thought she was doomed to fail it. She said it herself that she would." The professor shrugged, his eyes beginning to wander around the swarm of students in the hall, "Yes. As was I, Mister Lupin." And then he strode off, leaving an even more bewildered student.

That girl is such a mystery.

~

~

"Annie, dear," The bedroom door creaked open, and the tall shadow of Mrs. Potter seeped on the wooden floor of Anne's room. She immediately sat up straight and took her charms book, lying it flat on her writing desk to cover her parchment.

"Hello, Aunt Jane," She said in a pleasant tone, looking at the woman. "It's a beautiful afternoon, don't you think?"

Mrs. Potter smiled gently, each step she took to reach Anne's desk was a careful one. It reminded her of her own mother and her sweet nature. "I brought you a cup of tea, I've made it to your preference – "

"Oh, thank you – You didn't have to go through the trouble."

"I don't mind, dear. It's the least I can do for you." Mrs. Potter kissed the top of Anne's head before going out of her room, leaving the cup of tea on her desk.

The first thing Anne did when she got out of Hogwarts was to visit her family's mausoleum. When she was younger, around the ages of 7 and 8, only her grandparents resided in it. Now, nearing the age of 16, her parents and her sisters were now encased in marble and moonstone – marking her as the sole Harris alive.

It didn't seem real. Her family's death did not sink in until she went to see for herself the decaying bodies of her loved ones and the burnt remains of her ancestral home.

With a trembling hand, Anne forced herself to take a sip from the teacup. The heat soothed her nerves, inviting her yet again to finish what she started. She lifted the charms book and settled it along with her other textbooks, revealing several sets of stationery, a pot of blue ink, and her usual quill. So far, she had finished all of the letters meant for her friends. The only remaining letting to be written was for Remus.

She could not bring herself to write such a heartbreaking letter. Anne train of thought spiraled if this was the other way around... I'd go mad with fury and deliria. However, this was her choice. And she was not Remus Lupin. Anne could not dissuade herself from pursuing this path, despite the hearts and souls that she would break at her departure, her own soul would still stand unwaveringly in the midst of her friends' and the Potters' discouragement.

At this point, I don't mind what happens to me. She told herself, the scratching of her quill against the parchment filling in the silence that surrounded her. My death is not the worst thing to have happened in my life.