20. Heart Vs. Head

Michael rooted through the security footage from the night before. The motion sensor had been tripped a few times in the docking bay of one of the high rises Eli owned, but from what he'd seen, it was only animals. Just like the guards from last night had professed. Michael had believed them, but since he had seniority, he needed to doublecheck.

Indeed, a pack of raccoons had scurried past, a stray dog, and one feral tomcat who decided to mate a female in heat right there in the middle of the damn alleyway.

After he scanned past the last scene that had caught the cameras attention—just a junkie shooting up before stumbling off back down the alley—he sat back and looked at his cell phone.

Delia: Love you. See you at 5.

He hadn't responded—yet—but he quickly did now, and then the door was being knocked on just as he hit Send.

Opening the locked door, he saw one of his subordinates with a man Michael recognized behind him.

Gio, he thought as his eyes narrowed slightly. Well, I'm ready for him.

"Sir, this man says he's a friend of yours and wants to have a word with you," Ignacio told him as he stepped inside. "What should I tell him?"

Michael sighed and fought the urge to run his fingers through his hair. "I'll deal with it. I'm overdue for a short break anyway."

Without saying anymore, he walked past Ignacio and opened the door again. Instead of speaking and being heard in the bustling apartment building as residents walked past toward the elevators, he jerked his head for the man—Giovanni Constantino—to follow him to a quiet room near the back of the building.

Gio followed the swift pace Michael set, silent as a tomb but with sure strides, almost like he knew the building as well as Michael did.

That was all probably an act. Gio never usually ventured into the nicer parts of LA, preferring to accomplish his underhanded business in the seedier districts, or perhaps a private VIP room in one of the swankier strip joints if he was feeling generous.

It wouldn't have surprised Michael if he'd been to Promises a time of two, and he was doubly-glad that Delia was out of that business for good.

His mate was starting to look forward to taking some classes for graphic design, and Michael was quite pleased at the moment about that, even if his parents were still in LA and still bothering him about opening up their business here. If only they'd fly back to Sicily, he'd have been enjoying his life more than ever.

With the exception of Gio.

Closing the door behind them in a dimly lit back office, Michael straightened his collar and cleared his throat. "I sent you a check just last week, Gio. Why are you showing up at my place of employment today?"

"One of your places of employment," the man emphasized with a dark chuckle. "It seems you've been given a hefty raise recently now that you've signed on fully with Elijah Payne." The man tutted as though Michael was an errant child in need of discipline. "For shame, Michele. Why didn't you tell me?"

"Well, as you're not close enough to even garner a place on my mate and I's Christmas card list, I didn't think you'd care to hear of my good fortune. Perhaps I'll ask Delia to add you to the list." He paused, smiling. "Oh, wait. I can't. No one seems to know where you live, and I wouldn't want your card to get lost in the mail."

The man's smile faltered only slightly before the corners of his lips ticked up again. "I like you, Michele, but you've been keeping things from me. I'm hurt. A new mate, a better-paying job. Where is the love for your old friend, Gio?"