Among the Stars

**Just a little note going in, Chloe is seven in this chapter, or at least, the first half

Chloe waddled out onto the patio and looked up. The sun was down, the moon had risen, and all the stars shone brightly. It was as if a thousand little lightbulbs had turned on at the same time.

She'd always thought the stars were pretty. After all, there were just so many of them. And somewhere among them, she'd hoped, was her mother, flying around in a rocket ship and having as much fun as she'd seen in all the cartoons she watched. 

It was always different. The brighter stars were always in different spots than during other nights, and tonight was no exception. Every night, Chloe also tried to use the stars to trace little shapes. Sometimes they would be simple shapes, like squares or triangles, but other times, she would make other things, like planes or boats. She wondered if her mommy could see her all the way up there, looking up at the stars that lit up the sky at night. 

She wondered if the stars took care of her mommy, or if mommy lived on her own and fought amazing battles with terrifying creatures like in Uncle Scrooge's stories. She wondered if her mommy was trying to get back to her, like she said she would, or if she couldn't because she had to find whatever space treasure she could find.

"Clarissa, dear, time to come back inside," Scrooge spoke up, getting her attention. He was standing where he always stood, with his top hat on his head, and his cane in hand, wearing his red robe and black spats. "You can look at the stars through your window."

That's what he said every night before offering his hand. And just like every night, she took it, and they went back inside. They walked through the halls, past little Webby's room, and into Chloe's room, where she used to sleep with Della before she left. Scrooge helped Chloe under the covers and tucked her in tight, just the way she liked it.

It was the same routine every single night. It was like a custom that they'd grown used to and even began to look forward to. And part of that custom was Chloe's question.

"Where's mommy?" she asked softly.

And Scrooge would always give her the same answer. "She's among the stars."

"I miss mommy. I want her to come back so we can play more games," Chloe continued as she grabbed Scrooge's finger with her small hand.

"So do I, lass, so do I," Scrooge replied.

Scrooge stroked Chloe's hair with his free hand and hummed Della's lullaby as best he could. Chloe's eyes slowly began to close as he neared the end. 

"Why did she go?" 

The question wasn't part of the routine and caught Scrooge off guard because of it. He didn't know how to answer other than what Della had told him.

"She wanted to give your brothers the stars."

"What about me? I want the stars too," Chloe asked again. "Did she want to give me any stars?"

"I, well, as much as I'd like to, I can't answer that question," Scrooge answered, stretching the collar of his robe. "Your mother was very unpredictable and... overbearing. She could have given your brothers anything, but she was determined to give them the stars as their present into the world."

Chloe rolled over and looked up at him. "But why can't I give them anything? Am I not good enough for them? For mommy?"

Scrooge leaned down and gave Chloe a kiss on the forehead. It was a sentiment reserved only for when she got hurt, and he felt this was such an occasion.

"Your mother loved you more than anything. If she were here right now, she would give you the biggest hugs she could and teach you how to be just like her," he assured her.