Chapter 1 - Aelin

She couldn't believe it. 2 bodies in 2 days. What was happening in her kingdom? She could never get a moment of peace. A variety of cuss words ran through her head, but she didn't say any for fear that the messenger's ears would fall off. Rowan's voice brought her back to reality. 

"-free to go." He said to the messenger, who scurried away. He sighed, then turned to face her. "Well, Fireheart," he asked, "What are we going to do?" 

She groaned. "Right now, I want to curl up with a good book and eat chocolate until I'm sick. But, being the responsible Queen that I am, I'll go talk to some people. Eventually."

Rowan laughed, "Some people? Don't you mean the City Council?"

"Whatever." She grumbled and walked out of the room. As soon as she stepped into the hallway, Fleetfoot jumped up and started licking her face. She laughed and crouched down to rub her stomach.

"Aelin! Sorry! She was too fast for me to catch." Evangeline raced down the hallway and slid to a stop before her. Her red-gold hair was slipping out of its braid and she hastily brushed it away. "She's been very energetic lately. Running around, creating chaos everywhere."

"It's ok Evangeline. That's why I named her Fleetfoot. She's as fast as the wind." Aelin stood up and started walking down the hall. Evangeline skipped beside her as Fleetfoot ran ahead of them. "Where's Lysandra and Aedion?" 

"They're in the dining room. I was sent to go get you. Dorian, Manon, Fenrys, Elide, and Lorcan are there as well." She giggled. "Lord Lorcan Lochan. I feel bad for him. Having a title like that.

Aelin laughed as well, "Me too. But don't let him hear you say that. He gets annoyed so easily. Are Chaol and Yrene there?"

"No. Dorian said that they were visiting Nesryn in Antica."

"That's fine. Thanks for finding me."

"No problem! Where's Rowan? Was he in the meeting room with you?"

"He was. But he left to go look at something." They reached the dining room pushed the door open. Aelin stopped short, staring at the scene in front of her. Fenrys was standing on a block of ice on top of the table. He was on one foot, reaching for the chandelier. It looked like Aedion, Lorcan, and Dorian were betting on something. Elide was covering her face while Manon was shaking her head. Lysandra was laughing so hard she was on the ground. 

"What in Wyrds name are you doing!?" She yelled. Everyone jumped. Fenrys slipped, fell on the table, then landed in Lorcan's lap.

Elide looked up. "Did he fall?" She asked quietly.

Aelin smirked, "Look for yourself." She pointed at where Fenrys sat on top of an angry Lorcan.

"Pay up," Dorian said, holding out his hand. Aedion scowled and handed him some money. 

"I'll take that." Manon reached over and took the money out of Dorian's hand. Lorcan pushed Fenrys off him and he hit the floor with a hard thud.

"Hey!" Dorian protested. "I won that fair and square." 

"Well, now it's mine. You're all idiots."

"Hello, Aelin. Lovely to see you again. Where's Rowan?" Lysandra asked as she stood up. Evangeline ran to her and threw her arms around her waist. Fenrys stood up, shaking his hair out, and gave her a cocky grin.

"Yeah, where is the old man?"

"Right here boyo," said a voice, right behind her. She turned and smiled at her mate. 

"You find anything?" She asked. 

He responded, "No."

"Find what?" said Aedion. She walked to the table and sat down, resting her legs on the arm of the chair. Rowan came to stand behind her.

"There was another murder. The messenger said it was in an alley by the west gate." Everyone stilled. The only sound was Fleetfoots tail hitting the floor as Evangeline rubbed her head.

"Another? That means-" Suddenly, Fleetfoot jumped up and started growling and barking at the wall. Everyone turned to stare, but nothing was there. Then, before anyone could say anything, a dark, swirling portal opened up. They stared, baffled at what just happened. Then an arrow came whizzing by, landing right by Aelin's head.