1. A Long vacation?

"Satanika, get back here right now!" Nakul shouted walking fast behind his mischievous three year-old son who had tugged out his dagger from his waistband while his hands were engaged in carrying two large pitchers containing holy water.

The child in question only turned around to stick his tongue out before giggling and dashing away. "I wasn't like this as a child," Nakul grumbled, ignoring his conscience reminding him of his various pranks and ill-advised adventures.

"Nika? Son, give me my dagger back. I promise I'll show you a more grand sword," Nakul said loudly, starting to feel a little worried now. Normally, the nursemaids would be assigned to take care of Satanika but he wanted to spend some time with his son after the past few eventful days. Rajasuya yagna had been successfully concluded.

The guests had departed except close family members. He sighed remembering his beloved wife Karenumati's muffled sobs. Nakul had been the one to deliver the news of his father-in-law Chedinaresh Sishupal's death at the hands of cousin Krishna. Personally he was not fond of that man but Renu loved her father dearly. Nakul knew it was hard for her to listen to people justifying her father's death as the end of another miscreant. But he had been a good family man; devoted to his wife and children. His brother-in-law Dhristaketu had aged ten years in a couple of days between grasping the reins of his kingdom and looking after his freshly widowed mother. Nakul wished his father-in-law's death could be avoided somehow. Presently, the father and son duo were on their way to deliver the pitchers to the prayer room which Chedi Rajmata, his mother-in-law had asked for. Doing this minimal task gave him a window of solitude devoid if any thoughts about their state or familial life.

"Pita, see. See. I am a warrior," Satanika exclaimed cheerily before charging forward into the left wing of the Palace swinging around the open blade.

His eyes widened in alarm. Putting down the pitchers hastily, he ran after his troublesome child who was unusually swift for his age. "Nika, stop running," he shouted. Delighted laughter was the only answer he received. Nakul caught a glimpse of his son's blue garment entering into a chamber.

"Rajkumar!" Nakul ignored the alarmed call of a maid as he stepped in pulling aside the obstructing curtains with only concern for his young son dominating his usual alertness. He didn't want his negligence to be the reason behind Nika losing his small fingers on his blade.

"There you are!," He exclaimed before tugging the dagger away from his son's grip and sheathing it. "What do I and your Mata say about touching my weapons? You could have hurt yourself or someone else-" Nakul noticed Nika looking somewhere behind. He gently turned his face towards him. "You aren't even listening to me-"

"Kaka Deva, Mata Pranipaat," Satanika chirped out while folding his tiny hands. Nakul's blood ran cold. He turned around to find a dishevelled Sahadev and Panchali stare at him stricken at his sudden entrance.

"Looks like I am in for a long vacation, eh Deva?" He chuckled weakly.