✞ Craving

𝚟𝚊𝚖𝚙𝚒𝚛𝚎 𝙰𝚄

"What is it?"

"It's a human, stupid. What do you think it is? A horse?"

Voices could be heard by Kevin as he laid on his back, loud ringing in his ears. He could see a bright light from behind his closed eyelids, but he didn't want to open his eyes to see what it was. He felt absolutely exhausted, like his energy was being sucked out of him. Whatever he was lying on was hard and rough, slightly jabbing at his back through his shirt. He wanted to get up and move to a more comfortable place, but he couldn't move. It was like he was being held down by an unseen force. 

"Well, can someone wake it up? It's just laying on our front yard. It's gonna give our grass a disease!"

"Shut up! Our grass is already dead."

"Stop fighting!" A female voice hissed. It sounded like she was in charge of whoever else was there. So far, Kevin had only heard male voices, so he assumed the lady was the leader.

"Naba, is it really a human?" A soft voice asked as if he was scared to challenge her.

A sigh could be heard from the female. "I suppose it is."

"But it doesn't have the smell of a human. It doesn't smell like anything. Is it dead?"

Something poked at Kevin's side, which made him groan. 

"Nope. It's alive. Someone pick it up."

Kevin slowly opened his eyes to see a group of people surrounding him, looking down at his seemingly "lifeless" body. "Can you not poke me? That would be fantastic," Kevin snapped.

"Oh my god, it can talk!"  A small blonde boy squealed, grabbing another boys' arm. 

"No shit I can talk. Where am I and who are you people?" Kevin interrogated, wanting answers right now. 

The female that he had heard whilst his eyes were closed stepped forward as all the rest of the boys backed up. "I think the more important question is, who are you?" Her voice was much more calm then before, seemingly puzzled at Kevin's presence.

"I'm Kevin. I live in the city and I don't know why I'm here. Why am I in the middle of the woods?" Kevin looked to the side to see a large cabin with the lights on inside, giving it a creepy but warm glow. 

"This is Grandeur Peak. You are far off the hiking trail. There are lots of wild animals in these woods and it is not safe for you to be out here on your own." The woman held out her hand for Kevin to take, making all of the boys gasp. 

"Oh em gosh, she's gonna touch it!" One of the boys cried out.

Kevin grunted. "I am not an 'it'! I am a man. I am a human. Are you guys some sort of cult?"

The female giggled softly and shook her head. "We are not a cult. It is dangerous to be out here for a human. Come inside."

"Oh hell no. This is some Hansel and Gretel shit. If I come inside, you're gonna fatten me up and make me eat a bunch of shit before trying to eat me yourself! I'm not stupid." Kevin shook his head and crossed his arms like a child. 

A black-haired boy stepped forward, now taking charge. "Look, she's right. It is too dangerous for a human to be out here, especially at night. So you either come inside now, or you get eaten alive by a bear or a wolf. So, what'll it be?"

Kevin sighed and took the outstretched hand that was still being offered to him by the woman. She helped him stand and let go of his hand once he was up on his feet. "Alright. Let us go inside." The group of them marched inside with Kevin following far behind.