Chapter 1: The Story

It was a story I had heard countless times before. A story of anarchy, of terrorism. A story of a group of criminals with the intent of destabilising the already weakened nation. It was the same story they told everyone. I knew the real story, I had seen it firsthand. I had watched the real story play out in front of me, wrapping itself around the people close to me, squeezing the life out of them as I watched on. It was a story I was pleased to be disrupting. I don't normally familiarise myself too much with my targets, or my clients, but this was an exception. My good friend had been happily married until the collapse. His wife had chosen security over spouse when things went south. Ironic, as it was that decision that led me to breach the security. I'm not a good person, but I have a mouth to feed, and work these days is scarce. I took whatever opportunities I could, until I found a proficiency for what I do now, and settled into a career of it. Everyone is seated, ready for today's round of propaganda bullshit. If my information is correct, she'll be seated in the third row. I try not to think of her as the woman for whom I was best man, but as the woman who threw one of my closest friends to the wolves, it's easier that way. I don't normally go around on personal vendettas, it neither pays the bills, nor makes it easy. This is an exception, it hits rather close to home. I try not to think about it too much. I put my earphones in so I don't even hear the shot. If I didn't do that I wouldn't have much hearing left. I don't know how long I've been doing this. Time flows freely in my world, passing as it pleases, I don't even know if it's night or day. I had made my way into this cursed hall many days ago, or was it hours? I do not concern myself with the passage of time, every action is done through the quickest method, every wait waited in the most patient way. I did my waiting ever since I breached the walls of this place, now it's time for action. This place used to be a theatre, I make the same usage of the lighting rig as I did on the way in, dropping onto the unoccupied sound deck, right by the door. From there it's a simple case of making my exit from this place. I wish not to linger any longer than I must, this place holds tragic memories for me, and the time for dredging them up is not now. I move into behind a support beam to avoid a passing patrol, carrying another casualty. I'm sure it'll be the same old story. 'The unruly bandits who cast their shadow over the citizens of this nation.' They said the same thing that day. It's a load of rubbish. I had to drop off the grid after that, you don't get witness protection against the government. I try to ignore the sickening noise as the poor victim is dropped against the marble floor, staining it with blood. I instead take the opportunity to make my way to the window I left open. My look turns sour as I find that someone has closed it. Sliding back down the pole proves a mistake as I land on top of an officer trying to covertly light up a cigarette. We look at each other for a number of seconds. It's one of life's many intricacies. Two men, in completely different situations. But making actions along the same principle. He gives me a nod and I give him the same, making my way across the large entrance hall to the main lobby. I wonder if he holds a similar disfavour towards the government as mine. Maybe he just wanted a smoke. It's crazy how different our actions are, and that we would both be shot on sight by an officer for them. I couldn't get by with all the rules as it was, but it was the only way that existed. Once I saw for myself what was really going on, I had to make my own way. It's not always the most comfortable lifestyle, but it beats being another 'casualty'. I stop my train of thought before it calls at the memories of that person. I can't lost focus now. I arrive at the main lobby, lingering in the corridor to avoid being spotted. I can't exactly walk out of the front door with Ash on my back. News will have spread about the attack by now, although I'm sure it's been played up as some huge military offensive. Even so, a man with a rifle strapped to his back is probably not something a guard would look past. I needed a distraction, and so I waited in hope in the corridor that something would happen on the other side of the main lobby. In keeping with my usual misfortune, no such luck. I felt a tap on my shoulder, turning to see three guards who must have snuck up behind me. I didn't even think before reflexively sprinting for the door. They tried to call out to the guard on the door, but I was quicker. I delivered a swift kick to his chest, knocking him back for long enough to make my escape onto the crowded streets outside. I walked briskly through the crowd, making for the wall on the outskirts of the government compound. I pass through the winding crowd, it provides a perfect cover. A guard fires in the air from the stairs of the theatre. The crows starts running off in varying directions and I am knocked to the ground. I scramble to my feet and make a break for the wall. As strong as it is, it is still a shoddily crafted mass of badly-cut rocks, and there are plenty of places where a hole or foothold occurs. My climb over is mercifully uninterrupted, as I make my re-entry into the wasteland that plagues the majority of this country. It's a long walk home.