Chapter 2

"Stop it!" I exclaimed, my irritation growing. I had a feeling things were about to take an interesting turn, and not necessarily in a good way.

"Let's go back in time," I said, mentally rewinding to three hours earlier.

"We have to find someone for her," Ree said, turning to Dakota.

"You're right. It's time she gives cupid a chance," Dakota agreed.

"Absolutely. Tonight is going to be a long night," Ree chimed in.

Their focused gaze fell upon me, and I couldn't shake off the uneasiness that settled in my stomach. I knew these two were up to something, and I had a feeling it involved meddling in my love life.

"Oh no," I groaned, sensing trouble ahead.

"Give us your phone," Dakota demanded, her tone leaving no room for negotiation.

"Why?" I questioned, my curiosity piqued.

"Just give it to me," she ordered, her determination clear.

"Do you even trust us?" Ree added, teasingly.

"Not at all," I responded honestly.

Despite my reluctance, they snatched my phone from my hands. I watched helplessly as they huddled together, whispering and exchanging mischievous glances.

"What are you doing?" I inquired after a few minutes, growing more curious by the second.

They ignored my question, refusing to give me any answers. I tried again, but still, no response.

"Okay, that's it. Give me my phone back," I insisted, making a move to retrieve it, but they blocked my path.

"We're just checking your WhatsApp and Instagram," Dakota finally revealed.

"Yeah, we're just looking at the guys you talk to," Ree added, a mischievous smile playing on her lips.

"And you literally talk to none," Dakota exclaimed, her frustration evident.

"That's not true," I defended myself.

"Work-related conversations don't count," Dakota shot back, her words hitting a nerve.

I rolled my eyes, growing more exasperated by the minute. It seemed like they were on a mission to uncover some hidden truth.

"Seriously, even on WhatsApp, you only talk to your colleagues," Dakota pointed out.

"I feel bad for you," Ree sympathized.

"Count me in," Dakota added, a look of concern in her eyes.

"I don't need your pity," I snapped back, frustration seeping into my voice.

"Why?" Dakota questioned, her tone softer now.

"Why what?"

"Why don't you talk to guys? Why have you never had a boyfriend?" she probed.

"Because nobody has ever shown interest in me, and I'm being honest about it," I explained, a hint of vulnerability creeping into my words.

"You also don't show any interest," Dakota retorted, her curiosity piqued.

"Are you asking me to hit on guys? That's just not who I am, and you know that," I replied, a touch of annoyance in my voice.

"How come you've never liked anyone?" Dakota continued, her persistence unyielding.

"That's not true. She used to lik—" Ree began, but I shot her a warning look, silently pleading with her to stop.

"She used to like whom?" Dakota pressed, her eyes fixed on me.