Saving The Angel

"I never wanted to live in this world," the love of my life said right before she jumped off. Bright-gold, sun-kissed, angle-like, Ms.Moon jumped off and slowly I started to see her shadow disappear.

It was a very early morning on a cool, winter, weekend and I had no

intention of getting up from my bed. "Wake up or else i'll get the dog up here!" I hear my

mom yelling and as a 10 year old the last thing I want is being chased off by the big, scary,

smoke-black, bulldog. I ran down and I didn't get to wash my face or even brush my teeth when I smelled this fresh, warm and summer scent of baked goods. My mind wanders off like a dog

without a leash and I ran down and saw my mom.

"Did you wash up?" her back was turned to me, "yea, always.." I slowly walked past her towards my goal, the goods, "did you finish dressing and praying?" her back is still towards me, "when am I not mom?" and I got so close so I ran so fast that everything seemed blacked out. "GOTCHA!" I feel a sharp pinch on my arm and I close my eyes in pain. "But mom-" she cuts me off, "no more goods for you. Got change or else.." I was about to bite back but she gave me a cold stare that screamed "don't. You. dare." and so I quickly run up and change.

My life always seemed this normal. I wake up, wash, pray, eat, study, and then sleep. However, today was special, so special that I erased my memory for 4 years before I could

remember it clearly. Heading to school I look around and I see my friend, lily, she's a bit older

then me but we don't mind it. No one ever does. "Did you get yelled at?" how did she know?

"How did you know?!" she stopped for a second and said "if you hear a bark what do you think

made that noise?" obviously a dog, "a dog..but what does that have to do with my mom?" she

laughed for a moment and said "everyone knows your moms bark nabaa. You're very popular

around here!" ok..i guess so? I shook my head and kept walking. She followed along.

Getting to school wasn't so bad, I got free food from the mini shop nearby and I said hi to the nice lady that I call "golden" and I love the smell. The smell of fresh paint from the new people living around and the carnival nearby that reeks of candy scents that could trap any kid like me if they wanted, it reminded me of someone. I was different though, I never trusted good things. I always forget to go to the Masque, the Masque is when muslims go to pray. However, today I made sure to remember, I wrote it on my hand!

I always had a feeling that someone is always watching. Always. I would normally shake it off but today just didn't feel right. I head to school and wait for 20min before the gates open. I go throughout my day normally and get to my last class. English. I always had a skill for english, it's so interesting learning a language other than yours, I speak arabic and turkish. The teacher always told me "you are way too mature for your age, you should be in high school!" followed by a laugh.

Obviously she was joking but it always made my day. Anyways, I finish class and go to the roof. In my country we don't have janitors, instead we have our hands, this is what Iraq is all about. Working with your hands. The teacher assigns rooms around the school and we each go clean around. I was assigned the roof and I love going to the roof. However, I didn't have a partner so I had to do it alone today. "Aughhhh, I have to do this by myself!! I hate this school!" I am super upset because I have the fear in the back of my mind that someone will come and snatch me away and they can because I am alone! 30min is all I need to get this done but I will have to stay after school.