Chapter 10

Their game of Uno ended with a singed deck and Todoroki handing over enough money to replace the deck of cards. Midoriya had tried not to laugh, he did, but with the way Todoroki steamed and his eyebrows furrowed over something as silly as Uno, he couldn't help himself. He giggled behind his hand, and Iida and Ochaco joined in moments later; eventually Todoroki joined in, too, with that snicker he hid behind his palm. It was nearly one in the morning and the four of them sat on pushed-together twin beds, laughing hysterically over the wad of money lying on top of the makeshift kindling that had once been a deck of Uno cards.

So, of course, when a knock came at the door, they all startled. Ochaco leapt into the air, hovering there for a moment; had Midoriya been standing, he was sure his own Quirk would have sent him through the roof. His hand, which had been on Todoroki's right shoulder, was now frozen in place, along with most of Todoroki's upper body.

"It's Mr. Aizawa!" Midoriya hissed in a whisper, though he had no way of knowing his accusation was factual.

The knock came again. "Guys?" Tokoyami's voice called on the other side of the door.

Iida leapt up from the bed and opened the door a crack, as if making sure Aizawa wasn't tricking them somehow. He pushed open the door fully when he was certain it was Tokoyami. "What's up?" Iida asked casually. "Did we wake you? Sorry, Todoroki just—"

"No, no, it's not like that," Tokoyami shook his head. "We just finished up the game."

"Oh!" Midoriya chirped. "Did you win?"

"I dared Ashido to leave a note on the snack table that said 'Property of Tokoyami'," he replied proudly.

"Clever," Iida said with a smile.

"What brings you here?" Ochaco asked, leaning back on the bed so her head rested against the headboard.

"Oh! Right," Tokoyami rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't want the snack table."

"Why not?" Iida countered.

"I'm not much of a snack person."

"See? It's not weird," Todoroki mumbled to Midoriya, attempting to nudge his shoulder, but they were still quite frozen. He activated his left side in an effort to speed up the melting process.

"I'm not sure I understand what we have to do with that," Iida replied, tilting his head curiously.

"Do you want them?" he blurted finally. "I mean – you guys were the last full cabin in the game, and stuff." He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. "Plus I...feel a little bad."

"For what?" Midoriya asked curiously, his hand almost entirely free of Todoroki's ice.

"I don't know, I just got really into that game," he shrugged. "I feel really bad for making Midoriya—um, you know."

Both Midoriya's and Todoroki's cheeks erupted into matching blushes, and the steam that evaporated from Todoroki moved the melting process along much faster. They'd strategically not mentioned the kiss and everything that led to it. If they were sitting even closer together than they normally would, it was strictly coincidence.

"Anyways, it's yours if you want it," Tokoyami said with a small smile.

"We'll take it!" Ochaco decided. "Thanks, Tokoyami! That's really nice of you!"

Soon after Tokoyami left, Ochaco and Iida headed into the bathroom to brush their teeth. Todoroki tenderly held Midoriya's hand, now completely thawed from his shoulder, warming it gently in his right hand. Neither of them looked at each other, nor did they speak; the sound of the cool night air fluttering the window curtains and the running tap of the bathroom sink were the only noises between them.