Chapter One: Unclaimed

"Many moons ago, this world was a strange and scary place. Before this clan was formed, countless cats mingled the lands about on their own lives. Mindless and foolish, these cats lived in their own little worlds, catching prey who were just as mindless. They hunted until they were full and left no prey in sight. Six brave cats with stars in their minds decided to end this way of life. Together they rallied cats into a large group that lived, hunted and shared their lives together. 

"In their actions to obtain this way of life, they banished those who refused to conform and join. These faithless cats moved to the outskirts of the territory, surrounding those who chose civilization. They chased all of the prey into clan territory and corrupted themselves with hatred. 

"When all of those independent cats died, their bodies corrupted the land, turning it dark and swampy. The water became thick and sucked cats under the surface if they remained in it too long. Some say their spirits still haunt the land and drive the Corrupts into clan territory.

 When the six founders died, they became the largest stars in the sky, the "Pawprints", and they continued watching over the clan even moons after their death.

"Once the big six died, they vowed to change this world forever and gifted the territory below with power.

"Forest Runner tamed the forest, giving life to the trees and water, making the clan's territory thrive and provide for the clan.

"Aether Fall provides us with heat in prey and warmth from the sun, cooling rains and refreshing water. Her gifts are a double-edged claw. She gave balance to counter our comfort by creating storms and snow.

"Brave Flight gave clan cats their physical abilities, ears that swivel to listen for prey, eyes that can see in the dark for night hunting, whiskers and powerful legs and claws.

"Spirit Moon gave clan cats and prey souls. Mindless hunting made for much anger and pointless killing. Killing many mindless creatures wasn't important in comparison to killing many creatures with their own brains and souls. Over-hunting will be no more.

"Midnight Riddle gave the forest gifts that none of the other five really liked. In order to create balance in the territory, Midnight Riddle made predators and disease. He gave the faithless cats the Midnight Forest to stay in.

"Lastly, Golden Light gave us our code, bringing law and order to the clan cats. Besides Golden Light, all deities can bless a cat with abilities. A cat can get blessed by one of the deities that blessed their parents."

Bearkit listened to the story again, despite knowing it by heart. Without parents of his own to tell him old stories, Bearkit spent a lot of his time in the elder's den with Quickleap. With his old age, he was beginning to lose his muscles and strength. Bearkit enjoyed helping the old cream tom whenever his adopted siblings were busy playing mossball.

"I can't wait to get blessed by Forest Runner tomorrow." He chirped excitedly. Unlike his adopted siblings Stripekit and Mistkit, who are destined to be blessed by Brave Flight like both of their parents, Bearkit was destined to be blessed by Forest Runner. While he loved his siblings, Bearkit envied how they got to know their mom, to know the feel of her tongue when she groomed them and the scent of her fur when they shared the nest. Bearkit knew he would never know that.

"You will have excellent abilities Bearkit," Quickleap noted, "You should be more talented than most, if not all, of the current Nature warriors by the time you master your gifts." The old said with a soft smile. "Your father was an excellent medicine cat! Blackleaf could grow just about any common herb he needed-" The cream tom gestured out of the elder's den to a patch of loose soil next to the medicine den. "He even kept a patch of herbs next to that den in case he was out of the camp and someone needed a quick fix."