Chapter 5

Hawkfrost

Who should I pick for my next recruit for the Dark Forest? Hawkfrost wondered. Last time, I thought Brambleclaw would be a good recruit to the Dark Forest, but I was wrong. Tigerstar was furious when Brambleclaw ruined our plan, and it was all my fault. He glanced at his ear and flank, both of them still bloody from Tigerstar's last punishment. Tigerstar had said that if he failed him again, the next punishment would be worse. He would have to choose carefully...

ThunderClan scent drifted over to him. He followed the scent.

The scent was coming from a silver-white tabby, currently stalking a mouse. Suddenly, the mouse scampered back into its hole. The she-cat sighed.

"You would have caught that if you were a bit faster and quieter," he said. A lot quieter.

The she-cat whirled around, staring at him, surprised. Suddenly, she unsheathed her claw and clawed his ear. Oh, no you don't! he thought. One look at his attacker told him how she fought. Hawkfrost always categorized his enemies, easy, medium, hard, and unbeatable. He'd never ranked his enemy an unbeatable before. The cat was, of course, easy. As most of his enemies were. He didn't even think she was a warrior yet.

He rolled around, then pinned her down. What was he going to do with her? She couldn't be the recruit he was thinking about, that's for sure. Her fighting skills needed work! But the other alternative was to kill her. Hawkfrost wasn't sure why, but looking at her tabby silver-white fur, her dark blue eyes that glittered with an angry blue fire, he couldn't do that!

"Do you give in?" he asked, surprising himself.

The tabby she-cat struggled helplessly, then lower her head. It was obvious who had won. Hawkfrost released his grip.

The she-cat turned, then clawed his flank hard. Hawkfrost stumbled, then fell over. The cat pushed him and put a paw at his throat. Surprised, he thought of how to get free. He closed his eyes and stopped fighting to get free.

As he expected, the she-cat relaxed her grip.

He jumped up, surprising her as he unsheathed his claws and pushed her down while slashing her muzzle. He then sheathed his claws and held them at her throat. "Never release your grip until you're sure you have defeated your enemy!" he yowled.

The blue eyes she had were glittering with fear this time. But the cold fire was still in her eyes. She had the potential to be a great fighter. Even better than Breezepelt. Could this be his newest Dark Forest recruit? Fear wasn't a trait he wanted though. He'd have to wait and see.

"Let me go, now!" she ordered.

She should know she wasn't in any position to tell him to do that but why not...under some conditions of course.

"Say please. And how do I know you won't jump on me?" he asked jokingly. What would her response be? he wondered.

"Please let me go," she begged in a quivering voice. "Please. I promise not to attack you."

Should he take her word? If he were going to recruit her for the Dark Forest she would have to improve a lot. He released her.

"What's your name?" she questioned as she stood up and licked her wounds. "Mine's Ivypaw."

Hawkfrost found himself responding "I'm Hawkfrost."

"How are you?" he asked. It's better to find out more about her first.