Chapter One

"No, wait, please-"

The resounding groan of the closing palace gates concluded in a decisive thud.

"I-"

'Commoners are never granted entry to the palace, today being the sole exception-though it appears I'm immune to such luck'

My fist tightened around the invitation as I gazed at the locked palace gates. The princess elect is the only one with the right to choose her prince. The prince consort, to be exact, of Wysteria. She's chosen from among the entirety of the female population-regardless of social status. Such has been a tradition in the kingdom. And sure enough, an invitation to take part in those selection proceedings found its way to me, a simple home tutor.

'The idea of a commoner like myself becoming princess elect over night seems rather surreal. And then you have to choose a prime consort of share the throne with. Some job indeed...Not that it matters-I didn't come here hoping to become the princess anyways'

My reason for coming to the palace was much simpler.

'Well, I've made it this far. It would be a waste to turn back now. There must be some way to get in!'

A streak of motion caught my eye as I scanned the palace walls for an entrance.

'Ew, was that a rat?'

As I watched the rodent dart up the vines, it dawned on me.

'Scale the wall by vine? Nah, there's no way it'll hold'

Tugging on a long vine out of curiosity, I was surprised by its resistance.

'For this short climb, it might just work...'

Eyes fixed on the goal above, i tightened my grasp around the vine, and then-

"Please tell me this isn't what it looks like."

'Uh oh.'

Turning around, I found myself face to face with a young man fitted in armor from head to toe.

'Wonderful! Spotted-and by a knight from the looks of it!'

"This is the part where you explain yourself," he said cooly.

"Oh, uh, nothing to explain, really..." I trailed off, a cold sweat creeping down my back as the knight's glare rendered me speechless.

"Oh really? The you trying to monkey up that wall is nothing, I take it?"

"Yes, it's nothing. I mean, NO-no monkey business here! Or anywhere..." I mustered a smile in weak attempt to piece together the tattered remnants of my dignity.

"You're a terrible liar," the young knight's brow furrowed in tandem with his growing suspicion, "let's have your name."

"Uh...(Y/N)," I replied hastily.

"(Y/N), is it?" He spoke my name woh a hint of distaste.

'There's no opening the palace gates now, according to the time on the invitation, at least. There must be a way I can convince him to let me in!'

As I took full brunt of the knight's gaze, I recalled my dear pupil's face and the promise I had set out to uphold.

"Can I ask you a favor, Miss?" She had asked me.

Having shared my attention with an open picture book, she continued. "See these flowers? They say they grow in the palace courtyard. Find one for me-pretty please?"

"Oh, but whatever for, sweetie?" I had replied.

"'Cause they grant wishes! That's how I'm gonna make mommy better again!" And with that, my student wrapped her tiny arms around the book.

'It's just a fairy tale. Do those flowers even exist?'

I felt an obligation to find out for sure. I couldn't possible refuse such an innocent request.

'Okay, get it together. I already blew my first chance-this second one is undoubtedly the last.'

"Excuse me, Sir Knight? Might I trouble you for, er, admission to the palace?"

"Are you crazy?" He asked me. "I don't even know what you're doing here in the first place!"

"There's...there's something I need to know," I stuttered.

"Like what?" Eyes narrowed in a scrutinizing state, it felt as though the knight was looking through the depths of my soul. "Ah, so you're a special guest."

"Special?" I questioned him.

'Oh, right. Forgot about this.'

He shot a look of disdain at the invitation letter clenched in my hand. Then, after letting a dry laugh escape his lips, he departed the ground with a spry hop.

'What's he doing?'

Bounding off a statue, the young knight briskly made his way up the wall.

"You almost had me there for a second," he spoke slyly, "you should've just told me you came off a shot at being princess!"

The knight looked down upon me from the wall above, his lips curled into a contemptuous smile. "Too bad though. First rule of becoming princess; arrive on time."

"You have a point there," I told him.

'So much for second chances.'

I lowered my eyes as I imagined how heartbroken my student would be at my failure.

"But if you really did come here for other business, I might be willing to listen."

'Maybe I still have a chance.'

I raised my eyes to meet the knight's stern gaze.

"Well?"

Returning to the knight's glare, I spoke without hesitation.

"I wasn't lying. I came here to search for something and I can't leave without it." My passion must have struck a cord as all hints of the knight's frosty flower seemed to melt away.

"That so?" With a hearty laugh, the nameless knight extended a hand towards me.

"Huh?"

"Grab on!"

"Y-you're going to pull me up?" I asked cautiously.

"Well how else do you plan on getting in?"

Placing my hand in his, I was instantly wished upward.

"Ah!"

"Quiet, unless you want to bite your tongue off!"

Cradled in the arms of the nameless knight, I doubt myself whisked above the castle walls. But before I could even take in the picturesque view, we had returned to solid ground.

"Thanks you so much, Sir Knight."

"Don't mention it. Now do what you have to do. No funny stuff though-I'd rather not resort to violence. Get my point?"

"Oh your sword...I get it."

And with a swish of his Crimson cape, the knight disappeared down a palace corridor.