Far East ~ Part One

The wind follows with its breath behind my ear — the trees sway, bending themselves as I walk forward. Their branches are scraping against each other to generate a sound that seems to proclaim the word, Alpha.

Alpha

Alpha

Alpha

Everything feels different — there's a power that seeps from the ground, from the sky, from the world itself that I can feel settle deep, waiting, wanting to be used. Alpha.

"Elska, what do you hear?" Her pack's weight has her leaning forward, along with all the wolves from the Far North. They are all afraid they will starve in the north; they've packed everything before burning their homes down.

Only ash and poison is left behind. Nothing else remains of the winter grounds.

"A lot of things, brother." She's clasped on Warson's shoulder. The small wolf leads them on the road. Shamus stumbles at times, struggling with his vision that is uncontrolled. His golden eye shielded behind his closed lid. He keeps a distance between himself and my sister. Ryeson is close behind him, stalking his path. 

"Do you hear the trees?" Questioning if she can understand the sound the forest is now making. Everything seems vocal, just on the edge of a thread to understand. A form that's blurred is facing me, and if I reach out, I know my hand would go right through it. A soft, lowered laugh is woven into the wind. With a blink, the mirage is gone. Nothing is there. 

"No, I hear the world," Elska says through gritted teeth. There was a point in her life where all those sounds threatened her sanity. Now she shifts through them with the ease of a bird soaring in circles on the thermals picking which way she'd lazily like to go.

"What does the world say, sister?"

"They are going to come when the spring thaw starts. I can hear them chopping their trees down." Elska's hand raises fingers outstretched, ear-tipped into an Eastward direction, then a Western focus.

Elska gradually turns herself around, "every pack in the world is preparing to come back to their origins."

Shamus halts himself to open his golden eye, closing the grey behind a lid, tilting his ear to the sky. His fingers splay out, mimicking Elska's hand — he nods his head in agreement with his half.

"Then, I will greet every pack that comes back in the Old Ways." The Wild tremors within is felt through the thighs, down to the heels of my feet. There is new violence from him — let them come, let the world come to our ground. 

The wind whips, the trees bend lower, their branches scrape together. Alpha. Alpha. Alpha.

"They have the numbers, much more than what you have now." Elska's eyes are close.