chapter 2

*lili's pov*

hey, you all. it's paris hilton. i know it seems a little below my paygrade to be narrating some high school sitcom, but trust me, it's about to get hot. up until now, lili's kinda had the perfect life. she's rich, smart, basically famous, and everyone loves her. it's a dream come true, right?

lili had just gotten off a facetime call and began her calculus homework when her phone rang. she picked it up to see a call from paxton. it was weird that he'd call her and not facetime her, especially at 10pm, but she picked it up regardless.

"hey," she said. "need a ride or something?"

"nah," said paxton. "but, like, guess who just asked me if i wanted to hook up?"

"who?" asked lili, used to these kinds of conversations with paxton.

"devi vishwakumar."

"who?" asked lili, crinkling her brow. "i don't know anyone named devi."

"she sits behind us in history," said paxton. "the indian chick. she was in a wheelchair last year."

"oh, yeah, her," said lili. "little below your paygrade, isn't it?"

"it's a lot below my paygrade," paxton admitted, "but shit's been dry lately. all the girls in the school i've either hooked up with or don't want to hook up with. besides, she's not, like, ugly ugly."

"i guess not," said lili, trying to think back on what devi looked like. "i mean, i guess if i were into chicks i'd give her a chance."

"yeah," said paxton. "i think i'm gonna take her to the garage tomorrow."

"so is it gonna be, like, a one-time thing, or what?" asked lili.

"depends on how good she is," said paxton. "probably just one time, though."

"yeah, good call," said lili. 

"by the way, what's new in your sex life?" asked paxton. "i feel like we haven't talked about it in forever."

lili scoffed. "nothing. everyone's shooting their shot as usual, but no one interests me."

"i'm kinda the same way," said paxton. "like, sure, i'll fuck this devi chick, but i'm not, like, into her in that way."

"yeah," said lili. "i'm not really one for random hookups. it makes guys look great, but when girls do it people just think they're trashy. yay, patriarchy."

"i don't see anything wrong with girls hooking up," said paxton.

"well, yeah, neither do i," said lili. "by the way, guess who dmed me?"

"tell me tomorrow?" said paxton. "i just got home and i've got a ton of homework to do."

"gotcha," said lili. "see you later." she hung up the phone.

lili wasn't, like, into paxton in that way. their mothers were high-school besties, so they'd been best friends since they were in diapers. i know what you're thinking, but it's been totally platonic so far. everyone at sherman oaks had been shipping them since the first grade, because they were both hot and popular, but they never went beyond friends. so it was totally normal for them to talk about hooking up and whatnot. 

lili used her ratty oversized band tee to polish her reading glasses and continued doing calculus for awhile. she'd always liked math. most people hated it, but if you took care to learn the rules, it was fun to apply them, and satisfying to solve the problems. she didn't even realize that a half hour had passed until she got up to redo her messy bun and saw that it was already nearly 11.