Chapter 2: Marriage

Alec could not believe how generous he had been in tolerating the foolishness of Ms. Dunn. His secretary clearly could not distinguish when it was "a time for work and a time for play". She could have easily have waited for after work hours to give him the cupcake. After all, his second favorite treat was a vanilla cupcake. Before his mind could wonder what could have possibly intrigued Ms. Dunn to be unprofessional, Alec shook his head, clearing his brain from distracting and unproductive thoughts. He had only 30 more minute before he would be on conference call with his business partner Keiko Kitagawa.

Keiko Kitagawa, was staying with her cousin, the actress, Allan Kitagawa in Japan. In Tokyo, WinTech had a branch there that Keiko takes over. It only made sense that they had a branch in Japan because most of their expensive supplies were shipped from there. Since Keiko travelled to Japan for a business visit dealing with the shipped products, she thought to expand the company internationally. It proved successful so she rose from Regional Manager to Chairwoman of the International Affairs at WinTech. When she was promoted the position, she bragged to her mother telling her that she was the "CIA".

However the matter that she needed to inform Alec about was not a joking one. It would appear that in Japan, there was a shortage of the batteries for the WinTech laptops. A high supply of demand for these laptops came in yesterday and she just received the news that there was a shortage of the batteries. Knowing Alec, he would be able to assist her in solving the issue. Nothing fazed him, and that was one of his best qualities. Calm under pressure. If only she was not engaged because of an arranged marriage, she would have tried to become Mrs. Washington.

Enough with the fantasies, for now. She had business to handle, wistful thinking would come later.  

Alec opened his ipad to facetime and saw that Keiko was calling him.

"Keiko, give me the update", Alec proceeded with the business call.

Keiko inwardly sighed at how her name rolled off of his tongue. Professional, she had to keep reminding herself. It really didn't help her guilty consciences that her fiance's name popped up on her screen with a text message. She ignored it for now, but kept a tab in her head to find out what the text message said.

"Alec, I need your help. We have a shortage of the batteries required for our laptops, yet there was a request for a high demand of them yesterday. What should I do?" Keiko questioned observing how Alec would react.

Alec leaned back in his chair and thought it over. They could tell the company that they would have to wait, but knowing the business world, if he hesitated, someone would take this opportunity away from him before he could even realize. He knew what he had to do.

"Keiko, look into Ecuador and see if they have our batteries in stock and could ship them today", Alec replied confident with this choice.  

Keiko smiled at how well he handled the situation.

"If that is all, I would like to end this call", Alec slyly dismissed Keiko.

Keiko's smile faded quickly. She nodded her head used to this type of behaviour from her work partner. Alec had a tendency to cut business meetings short. If she were to have a conversation that lasted more than 15 seconds of comfortable silence, she would have to call after works hours for a pleasant social call.

Alec pushed the end button on the call and settled to finish looking through the outline of a prototype for the new advertisement that should be released in two weeks that Justin Brent, the Marketing Manager in the New York City Branch sent him for approval.

Justin Brent was looking across from his office window to see his regional boss in the other building striking a deal with the Co-CFO of Walmart.

He had a lot to learn from his regional boss. Justin's goal was to take over WinTech, and as he kept climbing up the ladder to the leadership positions, he had realized the things people would do for money. His boss had clearly lead the path for him to follow but it was about time Justin took over. He had to plan carefully because in the sight of money, no one was to be trusted. He could not risk his reputation nor his money.

He had overheard his regional boss thinking of letting off some people in the Tri-State branches. No one knew if their position was safe. Becoming the head of the company would secure his position though. He knew he had to be aware of the fact that money could turn people into cold ruthless beings. If he goes with this plan, he would have to trust no one, yet still make allies. He didn't have much time though. Speaking of time being of the essence, he looked at his watch and discovered that it was 4 minutes until his breakfast date with his newly-wed wife   

He spun around in his desk and walked out of his office in search for the receptionist downstairs. In the midst of his thoughts, he had almost completely forgot he had a date during his break. Behind every great person, was their spouse.

Rafael Nadal had enough with the ignored texts to his arranged fiance, Keiko Kitagawa, soon-to-be Mrs. Keiko Nadal. He had a specially planned dinner date to woo Keiko. He knew she was not interested in being in an arranged marriage with him, however, he wanted them to work out. But he would not be a pushover and obliged to everything that Keiko wanted, nor helplessly try to work something out while she did not nothing to salvage their engagement. She had no idea how selfish she was being in his opinion. Naturally, they would want to find love on their own. But the statistics in an arranged marriage were looking in their favor. Plus, he always thought that two people would eventually fall in love if they spent enough time together.

He proceeded to call Keiko one last time. No more Mr. Nice Guy if she ignored his call. It was 9pm and he did not at all appreciate her staying at work late hours just for a conference call. It was not safe for his beautiful fiance to be out of the house by herself this late. The phone rung in his hand as he paced back and forth in the office suite of his condo. His Stafford Bradford black shoes were about to "burn a hole" on the new oasis cherry Japan wooden floors. His Iphone 6s was not advanced enough in his mind. He should be able to teleport to Keiko since she was not picking up.

"Hey Nadal, I just finished my conference call, what's up?", she finally answered the phone.

"Kitagawa, I was worried when you did not answer. You do realize how late it is", he questioned.

"I apologize. I'll be home in a few", she replied.

"I'm on my way to pick you up", he informed her, "see you soon".

He did not allow her to argue with him. She could do anything irrational like walk, take the bus or catch a sketchy cab. And it would not be the first time of her doing any of these things late at night as if evil did not lurk the streets of Japan once the sun set. It's about time she moved from her cousin's place to his. He gathered his keys, wallet and phone from off the work desk and hurried outside of his condo to get to his silver Honda Civic 2014 model. He was determined to ensure the safety of his future wife, even if she was not in love with him yet. He would woo her, that much he was sure of.