Chapter Fourteen

Two weeks have gone by and everything still seems off. I haven't been able to leave the apartment by myself, Benton and Antonio both have not left for work, and whenever I mention anything about Tanner they get weird. I have no idea what is going on.

As I stare at myself in the mirror I just can't get this bad feeling out of my head. The thought that I had rushed into this relationship despite the red flags keeps running through my head. Them knowing my phone number, Antonio claiming ownership over me, their suspiciously nice and expensive decoration in this run down apartment.

I have no idea whats with them. Maybe they're apart of the mafia, maybe they're thieves who robbed a bank and are laying low. Maybe they're vampires, I don't know. I know that they're dangerous though, and I need to get out of here. With them constantly at home, I can't think of a way.

I don't want to risk asking them when they're going back to work. If they know that I am planning on leaving, I don't know what they would do. Antonio specifically, he tracked me down at my work over missed calls. I could probably take Benton if it came to it, but I have no chance against Antonio.

I sigh and my head fall into my hands. Maybe they're just creepy and not a threat. Here I am thinking of physically fighting them. I need to stop being so dramatic.

I stand up straight and exit the bathroom, heading back into the bedroom. In need of fresh air. I exit out to the patio and lower myself into one of the chairs.

No matter if I'm overreacting or not, I know somethings up and I need out, and I'd rather be overly cautious and safe than carefree and in the back of someones white van. They're messing with me, and I don't know if its related but they're messing with my sleep too.

I keep having nightmares. I don't know what they're from but its always the same thing. Its always a man in a bathtub, he never has a face. He is constantly screaming at me to save him right before I am pulled into the darkness.

"Kalem? What are you doing out here?" I jump a little as Benton's voice snaps me out of my thoughts. I turn around and see him in nothing but Nike shorts and socks. I look back out to the view the balcony gives me and just shrug. I really did not feel like talking to him.

I heard him sigh and take a seat on the other lawn chair next to me. Before he can say anything, I look him in the eyes. I can see something is hiding in there, but I'm not sure what.

"Benton, I got a text from my mom this morning, I need to go visit her, or she is going to come up here."

This was a complete lie, but I just need to know what his reaction would be.

"Oh that's wonderful! Me and Antonio will buy the tickets!"

My face scrunches up in confusion. Maybe I was wrong about it all?

"Really?" I ask, not even trying to mask the confusion.

He smiled warmly at me. "Of course, we aren't trapping you here Kalem!"

I sigh in relief, it was all in my head.

"You'll have to give me and Antonio some time to pack first though! We wouldn't want to go all the way to Memphis Tennessee without our stuff!"

A shiver crept down my spine at his words. Not because he had invited himself along but because,

"When did I tell you my mom lived in Tennessee?"

He didn't even blink before answering with an almost perfect face of confusion.

"What do you mean? You mentioned it a long time ago?"

"When, exactly, I don't really remember."

"When me, you and Antonio were walking back from your work, you mentioned it one day when you were talking about your dad," He said confidently with a smile.

I knew that instant he was lying. I would have never mentioned my dad to them. My thoughts started to race as panic built in me, but if they could play this game, so could I. I plastered an understanding look on my face and focused on making sure my voice didn't shake.

"Oh yeah, sorry, its just every since that night at the bar I've been having trouble remembering things!"

It seems like he bought it because he just waved it off with a smile. I could see the doubt in his eyes though. I had to play it off.

"How long do you think it'll take for you guys to pack? My mom really wants me down there. She's a little protective."

I see his shoulders lose their tension and his eyes lose their doubt. He caresses my face lightly and kisses my forehead.

"Give us two days, Kally. God, we finally get to meet your mom! I'm so excited."

I can't let him actually meet my mom. We may not always be on the best terms but I still love her. I'll have to think of something. God I only have two days.

I return a kiss, but this time on his mouth, smiling into it. I should be more disgusted, but the way his mouth tastes of his mint toothpaste, and the way our tongues slide together like puzzle pieces, I can't bring myself to hate having to kiss him. All I can do is feel the guilt as I pull away, wishing no more than to go back to not knowing there was something wrong.

All I want is to go back to the first day when we were sitting on their couch. Why couldn't they just be how they appeared? As much as I try to squish it down, I can still feel the twisted love I have for Antonio's possessive touch and Benton's manipulative smile. Even if I get away, will I be able to stay away?

"She is going to love you, both of you."