Chapter 8, Never

Chapter 8, Never

December 16th, 1998

Cassidy's POV

Two months, two whole months. No contact, no letters, nothing. Lucas and I are now dating. Even though Aaron said he was going to break it off with Haley, he still hasn't. I won't let him, not because of me. That would define me as a homewrecker.

I reluctantly sigh, not wanting to get up and move. Today's the day, you got this. It's just Aaron, act normal. I walk through my room to find a nice outfit to wear. We are going over to The Hotchner's and my Mom won't let me out of it this time. I think the parents are making us have an intervention.

Once I was ready to go, I headed downstairs where I saw Mom and Dad waiting for me. "You ready?" Mom asks.

"Ready as I'll ever be. Why couldn't I have gone to Luke's? You know I don't want to go over there." I say, truthfully.

"We didn't let you go to Luke's because of the bullshit you and Aaron are pulling. We know about the letters, and you two clearly set each other off. However, you two need to say your peace. I'm not saying you have to make up, but you need to let it go. You two need to move on, whether it's with each other or not." Mom says, giving me a lecture. I knew she was right, but I wasn't going to admit that.

I get my coat on, and we walk next door. Breathe, it's okay. Dad knocks on the door, and Mr. Hotchner opens it. "Ray! C'mon in everyone. Cassie it's great to see you again." He greets, as we walk in.

Mr. Hotchner and Dad are best friends. Both of our families have become family since Aaron and I's friendship.They move into the living room watching TV before dinner. Mom goes to the kitchen first, making sure Mrs. Hotchner was doing okay. Mom always makes sure to help out. I hung my coat up, and kind of stood there. Normally, I'd go see Aaron. That's not the case now.

"Cassie!" I hear Mom yell, and I go to the kitchen. As I enter the doorway, I immediately feel the pity. Please don't, I don't want or need pity.

"Aaron's in his room, Hun. Go talk to him, please? The only time he comes down is if it's school, dinner, or Haley." Mrs. Hotchner says. Did I do that?

"Uhm, I-I don't think that's a good idea, Ma'am. I'm the last person he wants to see." I say, trying to come up with excuses.

"Actually, you're the only one he wants to see. He's only seen Haley outside of school once." She explains. Once? Only once? I'm the reason for his pain. I feel my heart sink, but also have butterflies. I nod at Mrs. Hotchner, and walk away.