Prologue

The dark haired woman ran through the damp and dark forest as fast as she could. The icy rain splashed at her face and the cool wind whipped at her body. She felt cold all through her body except in her stomach. Heat rose from her stomach pushing her to run faster, she leaped over a fallen log skillfully. The growls and snarls behind her begin to fade. When she can no longer hear them, she stops and turns around. She see's nothing behind her except wood. Her wet, maroon hair is all over the place. The wind, now blowing in the opposite direction as her hair falls, blows strands of hair into her face. She takes a deep breath and pushes the hair behind her ears, revealing that they are pointed.

She walks for a long time before she reaches a small village. It's right before dusk and the village is lively. All different kinds of people roam the village. There's an equal amount of humans and dwarves, and all having different jobs. The woman scoffs, "Great, this should be fun," she mutters to herself. She pulls up her black hood from her cloak, hiding her most essential details, her eyes and her ears. Walking into the villages tavern, she is greeted by a she-dwarf whose head reaches to about the woman's lower ribs. "Hiya lassie, are ye lookin' for some mutton! Because yer shor' be needin' it! Look how fragile y'are," the she-dwarf yells. "Actually," When the woman speaks aloud her voice is liquid velvet, it is low and enticing. It sends either chills or warmth through anyone, its what helps her get her way. "I'd like a room, if you don't mind." She hands the she-dwarf a small satchel of coins. The she-dwarf instantly is suspicious and cocks her head to the side, but after weighing the coins in her hands she grabs a key from under the desk and waves for the woman to follow her.

They walk together past drunken dwarves and humans alike. One male human pipes up to shout at the woman, "Take off the hood, and spend a little time with us!" He raises a mug halfway full of beer and the surrounding men join in with their varying drinks and yell "Ai!" Heat rises up in the woman's stomach again and she shakes her head and pulls her hood farther over her face.

Once in her room the woman pulls back her hood and her, now nearly dry, flows over her shoulders and down her back. She unties the cloaks rope around her neck and lets the cloak fall to the floor. She is wearing a long sleeved cream tunic that ties in the front with leather lace. She has on matching cream trousers that tuck into her black knee length boots. She unties the leather laces on her boots to slide them off. She blows out the bedside candle and lays down under the woven covers. "Lay low, Ash. Lay low," she whispers to herself. The last thing you see is a pair of purple irises lined with long lashes flutter closed, and then- she's out.