Chapter Six-Nihilism in Manhattan-VI-1986

A young James Spader as Rip, the violent drug dealer in 'Less Than Zero', shows his power in the swimming pool; and New Order's hit 1986 song, 'Bizarre Love Triangle', right in the media section. And is the 2nd song in the 'Nihilism in Manhattan' soundtrack.

Warning: It is rated R for sex references, adult themes.

You must be 18 years and over to see and hear it.

***

Quote: <<<"You have friends who actually care about you and speak the language of the inner self. You have avoided them of late. Your soul is as disheveled as your apartment, and until you can clean it up a little you don't want to invite anyone inside", unquote,
― Jay McInerney,  Hartford, Connecticut, January 13, 1955, USA, (Bright Lights, Big City, 1984)

***

The next morning;

Manhattan, New York;

8:00 AM.

Karen was sleeping.

She felt Cassidy's breasts; she touched her body with her hands.

It was electrifying; it was stimulating. And she didn't need any drugs at all to enter the zone of lesbian sex. Because being nihilstic in 1986 meant your life would be fine if you...and your lover...was protected from AIDS; because AIDS was damaging to the Manhattan Gay Clubs in the drowning city of New York.

Central Park,

9:33 AM.

"I told you not to dissolve into the fucking ether of the soul, Andrew. You fucked up". Peter smoked a cigarette; the embers dissolved into the cold, New York, sky.

"I was on a bender".

Peter, who wore a Brooks Brothers grey suit, stared at him.

"Listen...There's going to be a crash in Wall Street; there's investors who are shitting bricks because the stockmarket is stuffed up. Can you stop...and listen?".

"I am!".

And he grabbed the black jacket...and sipped his warm coffee, the same way as Peter did. The sun's glare shattered the benches; the musicians sang songs; the Moms screamed with disdain at their toddler sons, or daughters; gay men held hands; lesbians spoke of the new IVF technology; businessmen were speaking on their heavy, long, $US500 cell phones; rich New Yorkers drove around in their limousines; NYC taxi drivers yelled in the city, with passengers who behaved like they owned the city; the Mayor was seen with his rent boy in Lower Manhattan; the grimy, nihlistic, dead World of Manhattan shifted; construction workers went on strike because of low wages; the homeless still froze under the Bridge, that linked to the Island, where the Statue of Liberty held her glowing torch; the Hudson River swirled...as life continued onward...But not upward...

...And, in the era of Reaganism, death came to a house...

...Where yet another AIDS victim died...

...This time a 22 year old straight man...

...Whose only nihilstic behavioral trait...was having sex with a woman in a Hotel...who didn't tell him she had had AIDS.

***

Somewhere in New York;

Around 8:00 PM

"This Club is fucked up. I mean, can we lighten the mood? Or do we have to decide on who wants to go here; or who wants to go there!", Andrew shook his head; Peter gazed at the gay men...and wanted to thrive on the pulsing beat of the music; Bryan looked out of it.

"They're raiding the Club".

"Fuck! Let's go!".

...Before the NYPD charged the front doors...

...And our adventure ended by 8:08 PM.

***

Sumer's Lodge;

23 kilometers outside Manhattan;

9:00 PM

Nate was in the bed.

Bryan wore a T-shirt, and boxer shorts.

"Why?", he asked.

"Why? There isn't a why; there's just...nothing".

"And you're thinking that the snow is harder to get through? We had chains; we had to use muscles to force the snow...".

"Yes, now what can we do?", he enquired.

"No sex. People are dying", Nate sighed.

And that proved to be true...

...And the cold, bitter, snowstorm, battered the Lodge...

...Until both men shivered.

***

 Page 7.