Chapter 1

"Dallas stop this is serious..." I groaned as I watched a tall dark haired boy shoot another 3 pointer into the trash with an old draft of our paper that was due tomorrow.

Dallas smirked. "As team captain, I decide that we are officially done and can go back to the apartment done."

"For the last time, you aren't the team captain, I've done most of the work anyways."

"Whatever Lamie."

"Can you not get it through your thick skull that my name is pronounced Jamie." I picked my pen up and through it at his head, hitting him right in one of his bright grey eyes.

"Ow, what was that for? I though you were done yelling at me about whatever you're mad about this time."

I glared in response, Dallas and I were... competitive wether it be grades, jobs, sports, you name it. And just to top it off, we had to work together on our paper for law class. Just great. I pointed to the screen of my laptop. "I feel like that sentence needs revising, and suggestions or should I fix it myself as always."

"My only suggestion is that we go back to the apartment. Then we can get ready and go to Bar Review tonight."

"Dallas, we are not going out to party the night before this paper is due. But yeah, we can work on this at the apartment." I grabbed my bag and we headed out to the bus stop. Our apartment was conveniently located on part of the bus rout although it wasn't exactly in the safest part of town.

As the bus pulled up to our stop I noticed several police cars on out road. I walked up to the nearest police officer with Dallas. Being his usual self he right out asked the obviously busy police officer, "Uh what happened?"

"Are you the residents of 108 University Place Apartment 1?

Dallas leaned in to me. "Lamie is that our apartment number?"

I gave Dallas a look and said, "Yes, that's our apartment."

"Well, there was an armed robbery at the apartment right next yours. One girl was shot so I would make sure to lock the doors."

"O-okay," was all I could say. I had always known there were bad things in our neighborhood but this...