0 | Abstract

CHAPTER ZERO | ABSTRACT

¹ NADIA MAYS NEVER IMAGINED that she would have such amazing friends in her life as she does now during sophomore year

¹ NADIA MAYS NEVER IMAGINED that she would have such amazing friends in her life as she does now during sophomore year.  Her reserved nature and practical thinking tended to come off as rude—uppity almost but everyone knew her as the kindest person in school.  The sixteen-year-old girls' daily life consisted of school, work, twin brother, friends, and a camera.  Life was not perfect, but it was easy enough—the reality of her existence being average being what some would want to consider normal. 

² AIDAN MAYS ALWAYS IMAGINED his high school years being exactly as they were.  A football star, much like his father was, the boy thrived in the spotlight, being a social floater—knowing and talking to almost everyone.  Nadia is his twin, but the two differ in so many ways.  His daily life is consistent with football, his friends, and doing everything to drive his sister insane.

³ MARTINA PEROCCHI HAD IMAGINED high school to be boring; she never expected the popularity she had.  Bouncing between two friend groups, each provided her with the two sides of herself as she struggled with duality.  Unable to place herself, her daily life consists of school and friends.  Considering herself observant, she lacked a clue of the shitstorm heading her way.

⁴ MATEO CLARK IMAGINED high school, much like how he saw it on TV.  Disappointed was an understatement of what he felt when he discovered the reality, but he still loved it.  Anyone who knows Mateo is aware of his carefree nature, always laughing and talking louder than necessary.   A swim team star, the boys' daily life consisted of Nadia Mays, detention, and one bad idea away from getting kicked out of school.

⁵ AMORA CARRERA FAILED TO IMAGINE a life where things were easy.  Legend has it; she came out of the womb hard working.  Though she never stopped studying, she could be the life of the party when she let loose—very few have seen her let loose.  On the road to NYU, nothing has ever been simple for her.  Daily life consisting of family, work, and school; we all burnout at some point.

⁶ WELCOME TO GRAND ARMY HIGH, only the brightest students are allowed here, but our policies are far from perfect.  We can teach your children, but the reality of what happens within these walls can barely be controlled.  Now you want us to be able to remedy what your children do outside of these walls.  It's Brooklyn, protect your children, but most of all, teach them to defend themselves.