twenty-one

⌜ chapter twenty-one ⌟

"I hate you." Letty says as she looks at Eric. "Why the hell did you drag me to this thing?" She asks as she glances around the filming studio that they're in to watch some nerd show.

"I thought you'd wanna come to support Shawn." He says as he looks at her.

"I could've done that from home. Where I was— Oh, yeah! Not here." She smacks his arm.

"Alan, I used to watch High School Quiz Show when I was a kid." Mrs. Matthews says from where she's sitting on the other side of her husband. "I remember all the contestants were really smart."

"Are you asking me why Cory's on this show?" He asks, and she nods.

"Yeah."

"George?" He looks at Mr. Feeny, who's sitting on her other side.

"We live in a random and chaotic universe." The older man says.

And then the announcer starts talking. "It's Knowledge Fever with the Knowledge Fever brain cell dancers and your humble announcer Milton Prong and your host Sweet Artie 'K'." He says, and people cheer as an older man with mostly gray hair and a black leather jacket walks out.

"Okay, then." The host smiles. "Welcome to the show that makes learning hip, hot, and happening. Oahu Beach Face Savers presents Knowledge Fever." He holds up a card that says exactly that, and the crowd starts clapping. "Our returning champions are in the house. So, let's give it up for John Adams High School." He motions to Topanga, Cory, and Shawn.

"Returning champions." Letty whispers as she leans toward Eric. "Why didn't I bring my camera? Shawn will probably never hear that again." She says, and he chuckles.

"And the challengers, three smart kids from some other school."

The crowd — including Eric — starts booing Einstein Academy, and Letty shakes her head as she looks at her boyfriend.

"Okay, now, let's get down with the first round, and the category..." He puts on his reading glasses. "Oh, what a surprise, The Lifeguards of Baywatch." He says, and Cory and Shawn both smack their buzzers. "I haven't—"

"Pamela Anderson plays sexy lifeguard C.J. Parker." Shawn says, and the point counter scrolls.

"Sexy lifeguard C.J. Parker is correct for one million points."

"Why can't he store educational information in his head that easily?" Letty questions as the crowd cheers behind them.

"That is educational." Eric smirks, and his dad slaps the back of his head.