Chapter One

☀︎︎❤︎☀︎︎
Cʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ Oɴᴇ - Hᴇʏ, ʜᴇʏ!
☀︎︎❤︎☀︎︎

Hajime's POV:

I woke up in an empty cavern of darkness. I knew this place so well, yet it felt as if it wasn't enough. There was a door in front of me. I stared at it, hoping for something, anything to happen. Slowly but surely, it seeped backwards into the darkness, further and further. I reached out for it with a shaking hand, cold with fear and anticipation. It  never returned. I leapt forwards, desperate to catch this last vision, hoping that it would bring me somewhere safe. Turning the handle, I stepped inside, leaning on the doorframe to catch my breath.

It wasn't enough. I still felt as if I were falling through space; the same endless abyss. The same door remained in front of me, once more seeping backwards into the darkness. I swiftly turned my head around, now realising that the door behind me had disappeared.
'What luck...'
Once again, I pushed myself forwards towards the door, grabbing hold of the handle and-

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

There was a girl in front of me, slowly waving her hand back and forth in front of my face.
"Hey hey, Hajime? Are you awake yet?"
I brought my hands up to my eyes, rubbing them, trying to awaken myself from the previous nightmare. And, as if it were magic, I remembered everything all at once.
This girl's name was Chiaki Nanami, the Ultimate Gamer.

We had only just arrived on the island, built to restore our 'hopes' or something like that... I never truely grasped the idea just yet.

"Hajime?"

I tried to fully awaken myself, as to reply to Chiaki's comment.
"Ah...still on the island?"

"Unfortunately. Nagito told me to bring you to the café once you woke up. I suppose that time would be now."

Nagito? Oh, of course.
Nagito Komaeda, the Ultimate Lucky Student, was also another one of my classmates imprisoned here on this island. He was quite friendly, to be fair, but way too calm for the situation we'd been put in. I wish I could be as civil as he was in that moment.

"It's almost nighttime, I think. We better get there as quickly as possible."

"I guess so."

I stood and brushed most of the sand out of my hair. The scene was like a dream; a fading sunset lowering in the distance, shadowing a tropical beach in the middle of nowhere. Strangely, I knew there was something strange about our new 'vacation'. Something was going to happen to us, and we weren't going to enjoy it. But for now, I followed Chiaki to the café. Everyone would be waiting for me already, it would be rather unpleasant to have prepared yourself for a new guest, only for them not to show up. Fortunately, the venue wasn't too far from the beach, so we made it there in a shorter time than we'd expected.

Mahiru, the Ultimate Photographer, stood at the door welcoming us,
"Hello, Chiaki, Hajime! Glad to see you've finally arrived!"

Chiaki spoke up first, accepting the greeting,
"Thanks for helping with the decorations, by the way. I knew I wouldn't have enough time to finish when Hajime woke up."

"Of course, it was my pleasure!"

Now, it was my turn to be greatful for her help. After all, you can't always have one person leading a team of 16.
"So sorry I couldn't be here sooner... I just dozed off randomly."

"It wasn't you fault. The whole situation is quite tiring for the girls, you know."

Just the girls? It was pretty stressful for everyone, right?