Chapter 4

The day progressed gradually once we all went our separate ways . I ended up buying food from the food court within the area just before leaving to go back home . Upon doing so , I ran into a three persons that I knew on the road ; both wishing me a happy and productive life and birthday  with many more years to come . I felt appreciated .  Exchanging phone numbers with some to keep in close contact with , one person stood out .

A high school friend named Amanda. 

We spent roughly 3 years sharing notes and lunch together throughout my time being apart of St. Hugh's High School . A captivating person , who always sees the good in everyone regardless of the circumstances . She had a big heart and kind words for anyone whose life she walked in . Seeing her was very rare ,it was like finding a four leaf clover . She spotted me waiting for a taxi from across the street and came up hugging me from behind while I was standing at the transport stand . It took me  awhile to recognize that it was her because she gained some weight due to pregnancy earlier in the year which she mentioned .

Talking for a few minutes , I winded up telling her I was going to head out and carry on with the rest of my day . Wrapping up the conversation with short notice ; she slid some money and a piece of paper into the top pocket of my gray and yellow shirt and told me to call her once I got home .  I took the next taxi that was at the stand and left .By this time , it was around 3pm . In just a matter of minutes I was home safe and sound . I thanked the Lord for taking the time out to make everything possible in my life before eating the my meal. Checking my pockets to see what she gave to me , it was six thousand Jamaican dollars and a paper with her phone number  written on the back of it . 

I was forever grateful . 

Dissecting the food with each bite , I saved Amanda's number into my phone and threw it onto the bed along with my other stuff . Upon eating the last of the food , looking through the window carelessly remembering that I didn't feed Dukes' from I woke up this morning. Dukes was the name of my dog .  He was a fairly mixed breed dog who could only come no further than the verandah of the house sat outside whimpering from hunger . Peeking through the curtain seeing him just lay there in the dirt ; I  went to put my slippers on and gave him the rest of the food and returned to my room when I was done . 

Entering my room once again , I felt my pockets in search of the marijuana I had already rolled up from this earlier this morning . After finding it in my pocket unsoiled , I whispered yes softly into the air and  sat in the middle of the bed with my ash tray in hand playing Brent Faiyaz from my playlist . I put flames to the weed . The aroma of herbs filled my room after taking  a few toots of the smoke, sending me into a different realm and putting my mind at ease . 

I began thinking about her .