Chapter 5

Normally , I wouldn't care to remember a person's name or even bother to ask if their day was going accordingly but somehow she was still in my thoughts . I kept remembering how easy it was for her to just come and speak to me as if we knew each other from before. It almost felt instant and that made me smile a little . Some hours past , and my friend by the name of Gennelle  who told me to meet up with her because she has a gift for me . 

Our relationship for the last three years has definitely been an experience . First it started out with us being just friends and a few months later after being around her , she had feelings for me . I had to let her down easy but she is a very persistent person. I was intrigued by what she was going to give me once I saw her. So I decided to go . After taking a shower and changing my clothes, I opened a bottle of sorrel beer for the fridge and slowly sipped to get my mood right because you never know what life will throw at you . 

We lived close by each other , so she was basically one taxi away from where I reside . I met up with her just before going to her house and the first thing she greeted me with was a hug .  Shouting , "Happy Birthday Jaaay ! " running towards me from across the road . I replied by saying thank you once she  and started walking off to go to her house . Today was a good day and everything was going to plan . We got to Gennelle's house put she was the only one who was there at the time that I came . Taking a seat after coming in , she went into the other room and took a few minutes before returning . Looking around the room gazing carelessly into space , I felt a touch on my shoulder .

I looked over my shoulder and saw that she bought me a cake .  Her other hand had a red gift bag and the white wrapping paper was sticking out the top . I faced her and said , "You didn't have to do all of this , I'm not fussy ." She replied by letting me know that I deserve to be treated because I have been a good friend to her and she didn't mind doing so for me either way . Being lost for words , I looked her in the eyes and let her know that I genuinely appreciate the gifts and that means a whole lot to me . 

My smile grew from the thought her actions . I took the cake and placed it on a nearby table in the room and started to open my present . It was a decorative brown journal that I showed her online and she bought the exact color and style . How thoughtful of her . I also got some underwear and t-shirts alongside with the journal . Unfolding the gifts to take a look , one of the shirts had something in it . It was a birthday card with a little note attached to it . The note had instructions and the first one was to open it once I was home alone . 

I folded the paper and looked at her but she said I wasn't suppose to question it , just go with the flow  . So I did so . We winded up saying goodbye to each other roughly after an hour passed . She followed me to the bus stop , but just before doing so , she paid the driver for me taxi fare and said nothing to me and walked away from the vehicle . I kept my eyes on her while she was crossing the street and waved goodbye and left .