23. Behind Every Successful Fungus a Plant

Whoever observes an ecosystem doing its thing would probably notice that mama nature is always on the run, takes no breaks, and never dwells on matters done

Ever seen a tree gossiping about its ripening fruits? A shrub complaining about a persisting cloud? Even water keeps digging until it finds its way through rocks. Humans, however, seem to always find a way to ruminate over insignificant details.

From the moment I set foot in the firm this morning, not a single mouth has stopped moving and spitting god-knows-what gossip Tropical and co. has graced them with. Not really in the mood to chit chat, I have decided to make a pint of coffee and lock myself in the office until the outer world is clear from toxic rumors.

Only I have started running out of luck ever since my mother decided to birth me, and so the door I was hiding behind flies open, revealing a squeaking Maple with a large coffee mug in hand.

"What's that?" I ask, baffled at the load of colors a single cup is holding.

Giggling like a toddler, Maple walks right to the desk and gently places the rainbow bucket for me to get even more confused. Then, and in a swift motion, he gets a donut out of the bag hanging on his wrists then chants,

"It's the least I could do!"

Flashing him my brightest what the heck look, I take the donut and inspect it before allowing its decadent notes of chocolate to caress my taste buds.

Then, as I am halfway done with the pastry sent from above, the realization hits me.

"Maple, did you step on my plants again?"

The last time he did that, I threatened to hit him with a cactus. It was a mere threat though. If he has done it again, I'm sure I'll find much scarier and uglier ways to avenge my babies.

"The bonus really helped, Chrys," explains the guy as he walks around the desk and stands on the tip of his toes as if posing for a photoshoot. "I was eyeing that pair of boots for months! Look girl, I can practically see my face in it!"

"Oh wow, these are something. What bonus are we talking about again?"

With that, I get sucked into the dreadful vortex of gossip I swore to stay away from this very morning.

What feels like an hour of non-stop talking later, and me almost losing my mind at the information I was given, I take another sip of the rainbow before the door flies open and reveals an agglomeration of the hideously artificial landscape.

"Christy, can you come over?"

"Yes, Carlos?" 

With Maple long gone at the sight of the T-Rex, I follow her into the conference room when lays enough papers and coffee cups that the table top is completely swallowed by the mess.

"How do I change this?" she asks, pointing at the screen with utter marvel. 

As I take a good look at what she is asking, I swallow a gasp, then proceed to push a single button on her keyboard to execute the task she's probably spent hours thinking of before asking for help.