Why K-Drama?

Welcome everyone to my K-Drama Diary!

In this first chapter, I will tell you a little bit about what K-Drama is, meeting with K-Drama, and what I like about it.

What is K-Drama?

"Korean dramas (Korean: 한국드라마; RR: hanguk drama), more popularly known as K-dramas, are television series in the Korean language, made in South Korea. Korean dramas are popular worldwide, partially due to the spread of Korean popular culture (the "Korean Wave"), and their widespread availability via streaming services which often offer subtitles in multiple languages." Definition from Wikipedia.

Meeting with K-Drama

My journey with K-Drama began in Spring 2020. I am pretty much sure I was in quarantine at the time. I was watching something like Modern Family on Netflix before, which I found a little boring. I was looking for something new. I don't know anymore how I found Descendants of the Sun. I think it was on my starting page. Spoiler: Descendents of the Sund begins with a fight scene between South and Nord. When I first saw it I was confused, not only because the first scenes are dark, but I didn't know who is who. It was also my first time watching a show with subtitles, which can be hard when you start. Also, you start watching k-drama it is hard to remember their name or even their face. But I watched Descendents of the Sun until the end of lightning-fast, beating my record. After that, I wanted to rewatch it again and again.

What I like about K-Drama

When I watched other shows (The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother) I liked it for a few seasons. I paid attention, I laughed and fangirled. But after a few seasons, I wasn't even laughing at the jokes and was doing something else while watching.
Since I am watching k-drama I am fully paying attention and not because I have to read the subtitles but because it is full of action.
Have you ever watched a show and you screamed when they are kissing, cry when they are crying and be nervous when the situation is critical? That's what I do while watching k-drama, which I normally never would do. K-drama clears my mind, when I watch it I am not thinking about my problems in real life. Omg, this sounds cringe, but it is true.
K-Drama makes me want to learn Korean, eat with chapsticks, call my mom Omma, and just be like them.
Since I live in Europe and I have never been outside of Europe, I don't know if the way they behave in the shows is true or not. But I love how the Korean people are in the shows, how they speak and just everything about them. I can't wait to travel there!
In the next chapters, I will post the k-dramas I have watched. Feel free to comment on your opinion or your favourite shows.

See you soon and virtual cuddles!!