Chapter One

The night was cold. She shivered and wrapped the cloak around herself, trying to extract as much heat from it as possible. Sasuke stood by the window looking out into the darkness. His body was stiff as he turned around and paced back and forth. Her eyes followed his movements. They did not speak, but she knew that there was something he wanted to tell her, something that he needed to ask her, and so she waited.

"You are cold again," he stated in a matter of fact way.

She shrugged, but kept silent, allowing him the time to think of his next words.

"I'm leaving the village tomorrow." He finally said looking directly into her eyes. "I will join Orochimaru."

Her heartbeat sped up. She expected it. The girl closed her eyes trying to calm down.

"Come with me," his voice was not asking, he was demanding. She opened her eyes and glanced at her childhood friend. The determination in his dark eyes cut like a knife. He eyed her intensely as he waited for an answer. In his mind there was not a chance that she would deny his request.

"Sasuke," her soft voice tickled his hearing. "I don't like the idea. Orochimaru...he..." she furrowed her eyebrows and sighed, "It is a bad idea. A man like him would certainly have an ulterior motive."

"I'm not joining him as an act of charity, Mei. I need something from him. And I am willing to do anything," he replied heatedly as he smacked his hands on the table in front of her. "The question is," he continued, "will you join me?"

Mei got up and looked into his eyes. She was slightly taller causing him to look up a little. "I will."

Sasuke nodded. He knew that she would agree. After all, they only had each other.

***

"Please... please bring Sasuke back," she begged him. Tears streamed down her cheeks and she repeated those words over and over again. Naruto clenched his jaw, showing a line of white teeth. He patted Sakura's back and rushed after Sasuke. Mei rushed after him. She called out Naruto's name trying to reason with him, but he continued ignoring her. His mind was set on Sasuke.

When they finally caught up, Sasuke was waiting for them. He glanced at Mei, noting her pleading gaze, but deciding to ignore it. He smirked at Naruto.

"Whatever happens to me, what does it have to do with you?" he spit out bitterly. Mei watched Naruto's expression change. A mixture of shock and confusion clearly showing on his open face. "I'm done fooling around with you guys of the Leaf." Sasuke continued gravely. "Go home. Let's go Mei." Sasuke turned away from Naruto. Mei did not budge. Her throat felt dry as she watched Naruto.

"Mei," Sasuke said harshly. "Let's go,"

She took a step forward, but Naruto's hand stopped her. His eyes were still glued to Sasuke as he gently held her shoulder. Her stomach was in knots as she awaited of what was about to happen. Naruto swiftly moved forward and jumped at Sasuke. His fist connected with Sasuke's face, causing blood to splat out of his mouth. Sasuke looked at the blonde form the corner of his eye. The blood accumulated in his mouth and he hurried to spit it out. They clenched onto each other's chests both glaring at each other. Mei could see a menacing look on Sasuke's face. It was not good.

"That time you wanted to fight me, right?" Sasuke asked darkly. "You were thrilled, weren't you?"

"But you were different. That was..." Naruto mumbled. Sasuke continued staring into his eyes as he gathered his strength and lifted Naruto up with one hand. Mei watched in awe as Sasuke's fist connected with Naruto's stomach. Blood gushed out of the blonde's mouth as he was sent flying.

"Naruto!" Mei yelled running to the lake where Naruto landed, but Naruto was already out and charging at Sasuke. "Stop it!" she screamed but the two ignored her. Mei looked around desperately trying to think how she could stop them. Her fighting skills have always been below average, she was a medical ninja and that was what she knew well. Mei called out to their voice of reason, but they were deaf to her pleas. The girl watched her ex-teammates fight, putting all their anger into each hit. She clenched her hands and bit down on her bottom lip. Her eyes were filled with tears which never allowed herself to release.

The fight was escalating quickly. She caught herself on the thought that she did not know who was going to win. She did not know whom she wanted to win. Mei closed her eyes trying to calm her racing heart. When she opened them again Sasuke threw a final blow at Naruto. Mei gasped. Naruto laid on the ground beaten and unconscious as Sasuke stood over him and looked down at the blonde's face. It was only then that she noticed how dark it got around them. Sasuke looked up at the sky. Heave raindrops fell on his bruised face. He gasped.

Mei rushed towards them.

Sasuke looked down at Naruto when sharp pain pierced his shoulder. He groaned loudly, clenching his teeth. He grasped his arm and fell on his knees, inches away from Naruto's face. As she quickly approached the two, she could not help but notice the look Sasuke gave the blonde. She could not read it, but it touched her deeply. Mei dropped to her knees beside them. She hesitated for a moment, not knowing whom to treat first, but her hands decided everything for her. She reached out to Sasuke instinctively.

Warm yellow light eradiated from her hands and she moved them up and down Sasuke's body. She concentrated her chakra and hummed a healing incantation under her breath. A sigh of relief escaped Sasuke's lips. Mei trailed her fingers over his shoulder making sure that he was better and turned to Naruto. Sadness clenched her chest as she started healing his wounds. Sasuke watched the girl from the corner of his eyes. Her hands trembled but the soft yellow light never stopped flowing out of them. Mei narrowed her eyes and whispered the last incantation. A sigh of relief escaped Naruto's lips, but he did not open his eyes. The girl stood up. Sasuke followed her lead. He opened his mouth to say something but was instantly stopped with her hand connecting to his face. Mei glared at him and turned away. She glanced at Naruto one last time and started walking away. Sasuke did not say a word. He straightened his back and followed closely behind.

***

The rainfall increased. He watched as the figure of his brother and his friend made their way to the forest, away from the fighting scene. He narrowed his eyes analysing his brother. Although Sasuke matured and got stronger, his level was still far behind Itachi's. He had a long way ahead of him. Itachi narrowed his eyes and looked at the girl walking next to Sasuke. She was soaked from the heavy rain and clothes fit her like second skin. Itachi felt the familiar tension in his chest. She stopped suddenly, causing Sasuke to walk into her. Her head shot up and eyes travelled in his direction. She tried to see through the wall of rain, but he knew that she could not. Itachi's heartbeat sped up. He saw Sasuke place his hand on her shoulder and ask her something. She continued looking in his direction and shook her head. Sasuke's grip tightened. She covered his hand with hers and smiled gently. That smile. She used to smile that way at him. Only at him.