Chapter 29

The morning came quickly, doing little to ease the lingering instability the night left. The two women tried to continue the day as normally as possible, hardly speaking or acknowledging the realistic yet unknown seriousness Damian's visit presented. When face to face with the man she said killed her son, Mallory held her composure, especially in the manner and unnerving reason he resurfaced. In his threat, he admitted their concern about the wildcard, Jeremy Miller. Alex needed to figure out how to pull Jeremy back in, before the Sloanes got to him. She still believed he held the key to unlocking the truth.

Alex announced lunch as she worked her way from the kitchen, balancing two plates of sandwiches and glasses of juice. She listened for a reply or movement from above. Her concentration on her juggling act was halted when a small shadow caught her attention. She found cowering in the doorway, a boy no more than twelve years old. Thin and ragged, a stained and holey green t-shirt lay above filthy torn blue jeans held up by a shredded belt. A mess of curly hair covered large brown eyes. Eyes curiously searching the room.

Alex set the plates down and stood up straight to fully address the boy. "Can I help you?"

Slowly the boy stepped into the room but stopped when the growl rattling in Rontu's throat grew louder.

"Shh, that's enough," Alex ordered and put her hand out towards the dog before she moved to stand between the canine and the boy. "He won't hurt you."

With her assurance and actions, he eased up a little more. His eyes landed on the full plates of food. He forced himself to look away to make contact with Alex.

"Umm, I-" He stopped and looked at a small box he held in his hands.

"Do you have a delivery?" Alex asked, looking at the package.

He nodded and looked around again. "I'm looking for Mallory Quinn."

"What's your name?"

"Vincent- Vinnie," he stuttered.

"Well, Vincent- Vinnie, are you here on your own or did someone send you?"

"I- I, are you Mallory?"

"Nope. But, she'll be down in a minute."

Alex studied him as he nervously fidgeted with the edge of the box. She had never seen him before, but he was a kid, not the sort that crossed their threshold. Alex had a feeling he hadn't eaten a decent meal in days and decided she needed to work to ease his tension to get what he needed or wanted out of him.

"Are you hungry?" she asked, moving a plate in his direction.

"I, yes," he said with a hint of shame in his voice.

"Come sit and eat while you wait."

He shook his head and took a step back before he spoke. "I really shouldn't. I need to get back."

"Then leave the box, I'll make sure Mallory gets it."

"No, I have to make sure she gets it in her hands."

"Why?"

"I just do, please."

Alex pulled the other chair out and then settled down across from the vacant one. "Yeah, whatever, food's here if you want it."

She didn't wait to pick up half of her sandwich and bite into it. She knew he was watching her every movement. He subconsciously licked his lips and stared at the offered meal in front of him. He took a few more steps and stood over the table. Alex didn't look up as he set the box down next to the plate and lowered himself into the empty chair.

"Are you sure it's okay?"

Alex nodded and took another bite. He smiled at her and lifted the sandwich up and bit off a mouthful. He chewed slowly; enjoying all the flavors offered in the simply toasted bread and melted cheese.