Episode 20

Cathleen pulls Althea's traveller on her way to board the plane. Althea's tears continue

"Sigurado ka na ba dito? Ayaw mo ba talagang magpaalam kay Jade?"

"Sa tingin mo ba kung sasabihin mo sa kanya ngayon. May magagawa siya?" Althea looks at her phone screen. A picture of Jade smiling with a cup flashes on it. "If I can't be a support to her, I won't be a burden either"

Cathleen shakes her head "Is this really the only way?"

"She has to stay here for her family. But I'm not okay Cat. I can't sleep I can't work. Wala akong ibang maramdaman kundi takot. Wala na dito si Miggy at ayokong maging dagdag pa sa lahat ng iniisip ni Jade"

Cathleen studies her friend's expression. She bites her lips and reluctantly nods. She presses a card in her hand. "This the number of a friend who stays in Singapore. Tutulungan ka niya. Basta magpagaling ka muna"

Althea gives her a warm hug. "Thank you for everything Cat"

"Sana sa susunod na pagkikita natin mas maayos na lahat"

"Sana nga"

Althea enters the boarding area. Cathleen looks until her figure disappears in the crowd. She checks the time and continues to move to catch her flight.

***

Cathleen offers a cup to her visitor. Althea hasn't spoken after leaving the reception room. Cathleen decided to bring her to her place.

"She was bound to know the truth, hindi mo naman pwedeng itago yan sa kanya habang buhay" she takes her hand in support

"I know Cat. I was just, sa tinagal-tagal ng paghahanda ko hindi ko pa rin pala alam kung paano sasabihin to sa kanya"

"You were both victims of the situation, yes. Pero hindi naman pwede na tanggapin mo lahat ng sisi. She has to own up to the situation she also put you through"

Althea looks at her phone screen. Jade hasn't called.

"Look at it this way. At least the difficult part is over "

Althea remains fixated on the blank screen of her phone.

Perhaps. she tells herself.

Perhaps it is over.

***

Jade kept staring at the words on her screen. Her eyes slowly fluttering as if taking every meaning with it.

People with PTSD have intense, disturbing thoughts and feelings related to their experiences that last long after the traumatic event has ended. They may relive the event through flashbacks or nightmares; they may feel sadness, fear, or anger; and they may feel detached or estranged from other people. People with PTSD may avoid situations or people that remind them of the traumatic event, and they may have strong negative reactions to something as ordinary as a loud noise or an accidental touch

Althea suffered a lot this was true. But realising how much she had to endure for the sake of their relationship put Jade in a state of shock herself.

The woman who loved her too much.

Too much.

The sound of the door popping open does not interrupt Jade's thoughts.

"Jade. We have a situation. Your uncle, he's making a move. Jade he knows about the wedding. He's talking to David's parents right now" Rei barges in with the news

Jade remains fixated on her screen. The dark lines under her eyes visible from the light coming from her laptop.

"Jade, did you hear me?"