chapter 3

He grabs a box of stuff from the trunk and closes it, walking down the familiar paths of the farm. He watches as people walk around the town going to their different destinations. He walks back to his old home and knocks on the door, awaiting his wife to open the door. Instead, the door slowly opens to reveal a tiny child. "Yes?" The little one says smiling. "Have you seen Angelica around here, sweetie?" He says, and the little girl turns and runs. The little one comes back, and her mother is at the door. "What's the issue?" She asks. "No no no there isn't an issue. I was just wondering if Angelica is here" the women look at him confused. "Angelica died about a year ago, sir." Matt feels the world crumble beneath him as the words she continued to say started blurring out.

The world was no longer there, and everything went silent. The world was blurry for Matt. "What about my children?" He looks at her."Eve? John?" He looks worried. "They moved to other towns, sir. I'm sorry" she says, and Matt starts to lose hope, "but I do have John's number. If you would like it?" He looks up and nods. She walks over and grabs a piece of paper, scribbling numbers onto it, walking back and handing it to him. "Thank you" he says, and she smiles. "Anytime happy to help have a swell day, sir," she says and closes the door. Matt turns away and walks to a house with a for sale sign on it and picks the sign out. He looks around and opens the door, leaving money in the box for whoever, writing a note saying "ex-veteran" on it. He looks around the tiny house and sees a counter placing the number down and seeing a phone. He picks it up and holds it to his ear but doesn't have the courage to press in the number.

He sits on the floor and begins to cry.'How could she have died, this isnt fair. I want her back' he thinks to himself. 'I want her beautiful ginger hair, her sweet personality' he cries harder.'I want that woman who went through old picture books of when the children were babies' he choked on his tears. 'I want the women who loved to swim and taught my children to swim. I want my wife back.' his thoughts are interrupted by a knock on the door. He quickly fixes himself and opens the door to reveal a short girl with a sweet smile on her face. "Are you new around here?" She asks with a basket in her hand."I used to live here long ago, but I want off to war." The girls face turns to pity, and she looks a bit sad "well welcome back. I hope you enjoy it here. " she hands the basket to him. "It's a neighbors gift." he looks out and realizes he lived right next to a tiny cottage, assuming it's hers. "Thank you young one" Matt smiles "I really needed this" she smiles "anytime sir come over for dinner if you'd like I'm having it with my boyfriend and a friend we wouldnt mind if you join. He nods. "I'll think about it. Have a good one." He closes the door and looks at the basket. Placing it down on the counter, he opens it and sees little sweets in arrays inside, pulling them out. He eats one and enjoys the taste he had missed from so long ago as all he had known is war food. He sits down on the floor and watches time pass as the night came slow. He walks out of his home and knocks on his neighbors door. She opens it and smiles as she sees him inviting him in. "Who's this?" A boy asks who was sitting at the table "Krow this is are new neighbor" she looks to him for his name "Matt" he says.

" I assume you are Krow?" "Yes I'm Doves boyfriend." he points to Dove, and Matt realizes it's her name. "We're still waiting for Sam to get here, so just sit for now." he sits and conversates with Krow as they talk of what it was like at war and his old wife. He looks up as he hears a door creak open, choking on air as he sees the person walk through. 'He looks just like John' he thinks to himself, watching the boy hug Dove. "Sam, this is Matt our new neighbor" Dove says, pointing to Matt. "Hello sir" Sam says, looking at him as he is still dumbfounded by the similarity of his son 'Even their voices are alike' he thinks quickly, saying "hello" back watching sam sit down next to him and Krow as Dove joins us with a vegetable soup. "The broth is chicken but no noodles only fresh crop." she smiles, and they all eat as Matt tells stories of war more and why he had gone to war. He feels at home again and feels... happy.