One Amazing Year

Cheryls pov

"You can't die! I need you!"

"Genevieve stop it." I say and try to pick her up but she's kicking and screaming. "No let go of me!" she shouts. "Whose dying?" Harlan asks while walking into the room. "Bri Bri's dying!" Genevieve yells and at this point I feel helpless.

"Mom you told her?!" Aubrey looks at me angrily from her bed. "No I didn't tell her. She found out herself." I say.

"Told her what?" Harlan asks. "Nothing." I say. "Told her what?" Harlan asks again. "It's nothing go get ready for bed." I tell him.

"Can you all shut up? I thought we were supposed to be going to bed." Jayla says after appearing in the doorway. "Don't die." Genevieve says with more sadness in her voice. She's standing by Aubreys bed crying. "What? Whose dying?" Jayla asks.

"You know what that's it. Everyone downstairs now! Clearly we can't wait one more second before the news spreads to everyone in the house." I say quite annoyed at this point actually. This was not at all how we wanted to break the news.

Nobody's pov

They all sat still. After Toni broke the tragic news the whole family sat still at the dining room table. Silent. No one knew what to say or what to do. It was just silent.

To everyone's surprise Aubriella is the first to burst into tears. "I'm sorry." she says. Toni is quick to get up and walk over to her. "No sweetie. Don't say sorry. That's not fair at all. It's not your fault." she says trying to calm her.

Aubrey couldn't help but cry. She felt guilty.

"S-so we only have a year left?" Harlan asks. You can hear the pain in his voice. The thought of losing his other half terrifying him.

"One amazing year." Ryker says.

"What?" Aubriella asks and wipes the tears from her face. "Come over here. No slouching. Stand up tall." Ryker says with the most serious look on his face. Aubriella gets out of her chair and walks over to him.

"What is your name?" he asks. "Uh Aubriella?" she says clearly confused. "Full name." Ryker says. "Aubriella Mae Blossom-Topaz." she says more confidently.

"That's right! Aubriella Mae Blossom-Topaz does not give up. She fights. And she makes the best of anything thrown at her. Are you still that Aubriella?" Ryker asks and she nods rapidly.

"Exactly. You're not gonna sit here and cry. None of us are. We have only a year? Great. We're making the best out of every moment." Ryker says and the smile on Aubriella's face gets brighter and brighter as her big brother keeps talking.

"We are not letting a fucking heart disease dictate how you get to spend the last year of your life! You are going to have the best last year ever!" Ryker says. The 10 year old laughs a little at the fact that her brother cursed and didn't even get in trouble. "Yea. You're right." Aubrey says and nods.

"Everyone in the car. We're getting ice cream." Aubrey declares. "It's the middle of the night." Toni says. "I don't care. I'm not gonna sit here and watch you all cry over me. Not happening. So come on people. We're getting some ice cream!" Aubrey says and everyone smiles through their tears.

"I guess ice cream isn't such a bad idea." Cheryl laughs and wipes her teary eyes. "Yes! Let's go!" Aubrey says excitedly and they all get up from the table and get their shoes on.

"Can we get the good ice cream?" Aubrey asks. "The good one?" toni asks. "Yes the one from that small stand on the boardwalk at the beach. That's my favorite. That's the one I want." Aubriella says. "Anything for you." Cheryl says and tickles the girl making her laugh before they all head to the car.

-

The whole family stood on the beach with ice cream cones in their hands.

Cheryl had her arm wrapped around Toni, resting her head on her shoulder and Toni was holding the youngest blossom-topaz on her hip. Genevieve was so tired but she desperately wanted to finish her beloved ice cream before falling asleep in her mother's arms.

Jayla stood next to Toni and had Harlan on her back who was clinging like a monkey. Jayla really didn't mind though, she was just happy to be with her whole family.

Ryker held aubriella on top of his shoulders and to the 10 year old, she felt like queen of the world. To be fair, in her mind she was. With ice cream in her hand and the wind in her hair she felt beautiful and powerful.

She gazed up at the stars in the sky and found herself wishing on every single one.

Wishing moments like these never had to end. Wishing she would have more time. Wishing that she could live for 12 months instead of 11. Just a little more time was all she wanted. All she needed.

She hoped that her brother was right and that maybe this would be the best last year of her life.

A/n: sorry this took so long for me to publish. i was busy finishing some missing assignments for school but i'm back now and i'll be posting more frequently!