101 Ways to Stand In

The first thing I did was ask 'How did u get my number?'

She replied 'ill tell u in an hour'

I sat there waiting, and at 10:30 I got on jeans, my heavy jacket, a long sleeves grey under armour shirt, and socks. I got into bed covering myself with blankets. My mom cracked the door and said, "I'm going to bed, good night."

"Night."

I lay there, checking the time every second. Rimi texted me,

'Start walking.'

I got on my air max sneakers and tip-toed across the room, preparing for my first late night ramble. With a girl.

Clutter Alley was about a mile away. The nickname was given because of all the trash people just throw there. Most adults don't know that there is a hang out spot there. A small room that a homeless man was said to be living in. It was under a trash can, a clever place to hide a room. After 10 minutes of walking, I reached the dark lane and saw someone disappear into the hole under the trash can. I ran to the area, hopping over the loads of trash. In the room lay a hallway, lit by lanterns. I walked down and opened the small wooden door, ducking my head under the frame. Rimi sat, her head in her hands. It seemed as though she was crying.

"What's wrong?" I asked. I half-expected her to look up and run at me with a knife. Instead she shook her head, "We broke up."

I frowned. Inside, I was smiling.

"I'm so sorry, Rimi. Nothing lasts forever."

I know, I know, I know. She repeated these worlds at least 10 times. I came and sat by her. I wanted to take her hand, comfort her, put my arm on her shoulder. But instead, she reached over, grabbed my left hand, and put the other on her shoulder. She leaned on my chest and I felt her breath.

"Um..." I spoke. She looked up, let go of my hand, wiped her tears and apologized.

"Don't apologize."

"Will?"

"Yes, Rimi?"

"Do you love me?"

I didn't know how to reply, so I said, "Of course."

She smiled and reached up, kissing my cheek softly. A bright red flooded into my cheeks. Without thinking, I stretched out my hand and softly stroked under her eyes. She smiled.

"I love you too Will."

•••

That's all that happened on that night. Yeah, you'd think we go out, make out, and live happily ever after. The next day at school, she completely ignored me. Like before I didn't exist. She probably was put up to it by Kate and Jessica. I steered clear of her. For it still looked as I she and Lance were still together. But she said they'd broken up....

High school.

Who could blame her. Teach the boy a lesson.

The only lessons I'd learned was how to; rather than standing out; stand in.

I may have been (almost) kissed by the prettiest girl in school. I may have also been lied to.

I know that in high school, it's easy to stand out.

Introducing, 101 ways to stand in.