𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 1

Hey...so let me explain. I honestly didn't know where to go with this story for a few years. Just recently, I had a cool idea and it made me want to continue. I'm sorry for this LONG wait. Having so many unfinished stories can be overwhelming at times.

Published - 11/17/2020 - 3:25 am

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Tap Tap Tap*

It was near closing and I grew tired from standing in one spot for a few hours. One last customer. That one last customer that wanted a refund, couldn't get one. Why? She decided to wait AFTER the 30 days to get one. And here I am, tapping my pen, and being called every name of the book.

"What do you mean I can't return it?! I had 30 days!" The woman raved, now raising her voice. No joke, she definitely looked like a stereotypical 'Karen': The casual tank top, mom jeans, and sunglasses sitting on that ridiculous pixie haircut. After getting customers like her, I've gotten desensitized by their entitlement. It's pathetic, really. "Yes, but your last day was yesterday and even if I were to scan your receipt, the register won't accept it. You can exchange it for the same item, different sizes," I explained with a calm tone, no matter how much I want to curse her out.

"This is ridiculous! I can't get store credit or something?! Is your manager around? I need to speak to your manager!!" The woman shrieked, crossing her arms and huffing. My manager was watching the whole thing behind the woman from two racks of clothes. My manager gave me the 'let me handle this' look as I stepped away.

"So, what seems to be the problem?" she asks in the best customer service voice. "She refuses to give me a refund! My son hates this shirt and I want my money back!" I looked at the wrinkled red shirt on the counter alongside the receipt. It looked worn, judging by how wrinkled it looked. The manager scanned the receipt. A small text box popped up with a beeping sound.

It read: ' Error! Transaction Declined - 30 Days Past Due!'

"Yeah," my manager shrugged, "it's past due 30 days. Do you want to-" "Fucking ridiculous!" The woman yelled. My manager huffed and tossed the receipt onto the shirt. "Ma'am, I don't have any other way to help you. I've watched you spew vile things towards my employee for the past 5 minutes and she's been nothing but nice to you. It's been 30 days, you say that your son hates the shirt but," she held up the item in question, "it seems that it's been worn more than once."

The woman huffed, visibly angry as she took the receipt and item before storming out. My manager and I glanced at each other and sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My shift was finally over. There's nothing I want more than falling face-first onto my bed. Just thinking about it makes me yearn for it more. Autumn was coming to an end and I can feel it in the air. My mind was completely elsewhere as I continue my walk home. No other person was seen on the sidewalk and there weren't many cars on the road. A pounding feeling began to grow on the lower left side of my head, and within seconds it felt like half of my brain was about to explode.

I rubbed my temple, trying to soothe the pain as I winced at it. Now...I could be seeing things, it being night time and having a terrible headache, but for a quick millisecond, I swear I saw a tall, lanky figure by a streetlamp 30 meters away. Then, a static noise pierced loudly in my ears just a quickly as I'd seen the figure.

'No worries, Prim. You're just stressed and tired,' I reassured myself. I wasn't aware that I was speedwalking at this point, feeling anxious once I finally reached my house, eagerly rushing inside. "Good day at work?" My dad called from the kitchen. I followed his voice, seeing him leaning against the counter, waiting by the kettle that was currently boiling. My step-mom was nowhere in sight and I didn't care enough to ask.

I scoffed. "You can call it that," I said taking off my shoes by the hall. "There's soup here if you want any. I made your favourite." I sniffed the air, knowing exactly what it was. Chicken soup. I would love to have a bowl, but all I can think about is sleep. "Maybe not tonight...work has sucked all the energy out of me." He nodded, understanding before letting me go.

Let's hope for a better tomorrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Such a short chapter >.< I promise the next chapter will be more interesting! Let me know what you guys think!