7.

'I laugh and as much as I would love to deny it, her hug feels just as homey as dads hugs.'  

•••

Dinner wasn't as chaotic as I expected it to be, it was pretty nice actually. I was a little nervous about Nana Trish and Grandma Carol, and especially about Carol and Abby. Surprisingly she didn't make a picky comment on her pregnancy. As the waiter served the dessert everyone agreed on heading over to Ken's and Karen's house. Dad and I both chose not to have dessert and asked the others to excuse us for a little while. I get up and a smile creeps on my lips as the tall man who's always done everything, he could for me, pulls me close and rests his arm on my shoulder. He walks me to grandpa's car and opens the door for me. "Take a seat." He smirks a little and I'm sure he remembers how him, and Mom used to drive together around here when they were younger. I sit down and almost immediately lean my head against the window. "Can we listen to The Fray?" I look over to dad who's taking his seat in the driver's seat. He nods.

"I want to show you something Emmy..." He mumbles whilst connecting his phone to the car so we can listen to some music. "Show me then." I smile and he buckles up his seatbelt. "It's a place." Dad starts the car and drives off the parking lot. Singing along the radio drive down a long road, the sun already hanging quite low. "Where are we going?" I ask as we stop on a small forest road. Dad gets out of the car, and I follow him. "It's this way." He says with his typical smirk. He took my hand and led me into the darkness, right to a little dock which seems to be the forests soul. It's peaceful. Quiet. I like it; it seems like barely anyone ever stays here. I walk down the dock, taking off my shoes at the end and sit down. A few moments later I hear the sound of a picture being taken and I'm sure dad just took a picture of me. He sits down next to me, taking off his shoes as well. "Welcome to my favorite place." Hardin says and lean my head against my father's shoulder.

"Did you take mum here?" I ask him, not sure if this is the place where they had their first kiss at, and he gives me a nod. "I did. A gentle laugh is leaving his lips. "She was so shy and wouldn't get into the river to go for a swim without wearing my t-shirt." He says. When I look up, I can see how much he loves mom. "Do you think I'll find someone who loves me as much as you love mom?" My voice is only a whisper, and the gentle breeze almost swallows my words.

"Why wouldn't you?" He says and pulls me closer. "You are a beautiful young girl Em, even though I would prefer for you to wait I can't stop you. Just do me a favor, fall for someone who's good for you, don't choose someone who is as broken as me." He continues his sentence. "I promise Dad." I whisper watching the sun setting. "Are you dropping me off at Uni or are we stopping by at grandpas?" I look up and see my dads worm smile. "I think I'll drop you off at college and pick you up for breakfast before were heading to the airport?" Dad answers and I nod. "Dad?" "Mhm?" "Do you think my big sister is proud of me for getting into Uni?" "Your- Oh eh yeah I think your sibling is proud of you. What makes you think it was a girl?" He asks me back and I simply shrug. "I don't know, it's just... intuition, I think. Or it's because I've always wanted a big sister, but that might be a thing every girl wanted." I say and a smile forms on my lips, whilst I am thinking about my older sister Neveah. "Don't tell your mum..." Dad starts, "But I've always thought of the baby as a girl too." He wipes away a tear and I know that the loss of Auden's and I's older sibling still hurts him and mum, but I'm glad he's talking about it, at least sometimes. During the next hour we just sit there, watching the sun set, enjoying our last daddy daughter evening for a while. The sunset is beautiful, it's definitely cooling down a bit but its still okay. Every now and then we can see fish trying to catch a bug which are flying just above the surface. Just before the sun sets the last birds stop singing and its completely silent now. "Mom, sent another text, I think we should head back." Mumble and dad gets up, drying off his feet on his black jeans. "Do you think Emma will turn out to be like Steph?" I look up to my father who's offering me a hand to help me get up. I do the same and dry off my feet on my jeans before putting on my socks and black boots. "I think she might become a good friend yours Emery, she seemed genuine." Dad says and we walk back to grandpas car, using our phone flashlights as the sun has fully set by now. I can't remember much form our drive back as I fell asleep pretty quickly. woken up by my dads voice I get out of the car and walk up stairs to my form, dad having his arm around me once again. He's giving a couple guys looks and I think I for once I'm glad he's creeping off guys. 

As soon as I open the door to B22 dad puts me into a tight hug, I enjoy it and kiss his cheek before he's kissing my forehead. "I'll pick you up in the morning, sleep tight and if anything happens, you know where I am and I can always pick you up if you need me." Hardin whispers and I nod, trying my hardest not to cry.

•••

A/N: Story is being based on @imaginator1D 'AFTER' I hope you liked it and I promise we're getting closer to meeting Emery's love interest. If you didn't know yet, you can follow Emery and Emma on instagram their add's there are EmmyLynnScott and Emma.A.Melia :) It would make my day if you would leave a vote or comment! Lots of love x